LegacyGT.com

Please help to identify this noise

• Moderators

Car: 2005 5EAT, 62k miles. Just went stage 2 last weekend. Was doing some heavy footed driving and a pretty terrible noise happened in 3rd at about 4500rpms. See video for the noise.

It seems to be coming from where the transmission meets the engine, so my first thought (after several expletives) is the transmission. I didn't think that stage 2 power could roast a 5EAT, but maybe I'm just that lucky.

Any help would be appreciated.

VIDEO:

http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/?action=view&current=IMG_0292.mp4

More details: I can confirm that the sound happens under acceleration in 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gear. I can test 1st and 4th tomorrow but the results will likely be the same. Mods include STI up pipe, Invidia catted downpipe, trucool transmission cooler. Seems like 50% throttle at anything above 2500-3000 rpms will create the noise--again, I'll try to nail down more specific details tomorrow.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

Sorry, video added.

Also, checked fluid level following stage 2 install last weekend and all was good. tranny fluid was drained and filled about 2k miles ago. Checked it tonight after this happened and fluid looks good.

• Moderators

I did replace the up pipe...but it doesn't sound like it's coming from there (i really wish it did) and the sound only happens when the car is actually rolling. Revving the engine at a stand still sounds perfectly fine--hence why I'm really fixated on this being a transmission issue.

FML.

You won't make an uppipe leak noise without engine load.

What brand uppipe did you install?

I will be honest, though. It sounds more like a mechanical binding noise than a gas leak :\

Uppipe leak reference: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iUR3Mc2W0]Subaru LegacyGT Uppipe Leak - YouTube[/ame]

• Moderators

Yes, it does sound like a goose! I torqued all bolts to spec, was meticulous about everything. I'll recheck tomorrow, car is currently at my dad's as I stole his car for the night.

The noise is not "high pitched and sounds like it's coming from my knees, if that makes sense (i.e. right where engine meets tranny).

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming and I'll do my best to chase down potential causes over the weekend as they're raised.

• Moderators
You hit a duck.

Pull off the TMIC and check the TB hose and the rubber coupler. I bet your coupler is torn. I have a new one on the way.

Go on...are you talking about the hose that has the worm gear clamp that attaches to the intercooler? Is that the coupler? Confused...

Please elaborate so I can check tomorrow. Also, if that's the case where did you order the new one from?

Go on...are you talking about the hose that has the worm gear clamp that attaches to the intercooler? Is that the coupler? Confused...

Please elaborate so I can check tomorrow. Also, if that's the case where did you order the new one from?

yup

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

When 5eat's slip they do not squeal. They would violently shake under heavy load. Try to correlate the boost pressure and when the noise comes. See if its ony during a certain level of boost to track down a leak

• Moderators

Haha, thanks man. Once again you're there with help!

I'm gonna take a look at things today to figure out what the hell might have happened...starting to hope/think it's the TB hose. I've noticed in the video as well that the RPMs slow when the noise starts--I would think they would shoot up quickly if the trans was slipping.

*Fingers crossed*

Archived