LegacyGT.com

3" Inlet and PCV removal....Why??

So i've read and search a TON on the PCV questions and bypassing it when upgrading to a 3" inlet. My question is WHY do it need to be bypassed? Why can't I just add another nipple back on to the inlet for the PCV. I actually called Agency Power yesterday regarding their inlet and the representative stated that it could be T'ed into the other 3/4" nipple on their inlet. Now that I think of it, that doesnt' make sense because even though there are two 3/4" nipples on their inlet, I believe that one is to "suck" and the other is to "blow." Are there any definative ideas on this?

I'm in the middle of my build and I don't have a catch can or an AOS. Any help would be appreciated!

You don't want the oil vapors diluting the air fuel mixture. It's better not to have the PCV allowing oil vapors sucked into the intake system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That fun thread on Nasioc a little while back would lead you to believe there is no evidence or cause of any issue at all sucking in moderate oil vapor from regular crank case blow-by (which by the way is probably correct, despite consensus). If you're losing considerable oil, you have other problems. The reality as Rao puts it is the PCV system is fine. But everyone in the Subaru community likes to go on about how the Subaru PCV system is no good, and these dubious "tuning" companies have the solution. If anyone would stop and think, they would realize they're flowing 100-300grams of air per second on a boosted run, while the amount of oil disappearing out of a healthy crank case is negligible. Even if you're losing a quart every thousand miles, which already means you have bigger problems, that's over 1000 &%#@&% MILES. Normal is maybe a quart every oil change, or less. If air/fuel is getting by the rings, guess where it's going? PCV. Hitting the compressor blades and intercooler en route? Not 98% of the time if you have a PCV system as is stock.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do this or that. I'm all for even more invasive things like removing the PCV valve and running crank case to catch can to turbo inlet, T'ing head breathers along the way. IF that is what you want.

Consensus is the dumbest decision-making tool since flipping a coin, even if half the time it's right.

/rant

Now to answer your question, you would be fine T'ing heads and crank hoses prior to the poorly-designed 3" inlet tube, which I also own and which I have setup this exact way. Leaving everything else otherwise stock would be fine. I had a heck of a time T'ing these two hoses. Had to remove the intake manifold to do it, which BTW is not as hard as everyone says. Just unplug and disconnect things. Only thing hard about it is bending your back for long periods of time.

There are many great ways to set it up, among them is the stock way.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

That fun thread on Nasioc a little while back would lead you to believe there is no evidence or cause of any issue at all sucking in moderate oil vapor from regular crank case blow-by (which by the way is probably correct, despite consensus). If you're losing considerable oil, you have other problems. The reality as Rao puts it is the PCV system is fine. But everyone in the Subaru community likes to go on about how the Subaru PCV system is no good, and these dubious "tuning" companies have the solution. If anyone would stop and think, they would realize they're flowing 100-300grams of air per second on a boosted run, while the amount of oil disappearing out of a healthy crank case is negligible. Even if you're losing a quart every thousand miles, which already means you have bigger problems, that's over 1000 &%#@&% MILES. Normal is maybe a quart every oil change, or less. If air/fuel is getting by the rings, guess where it's going? PCV. Hitting the compressor blades and intercooler en route? Not 98% of the time if you have a PCV system as is stock.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do this or that. I'm all for even more invasive things like removing the PCV valve and running crank case to catch can to turbo inlet, T'ing head breathers along the way. IF that is what you want.

Consensus is the dumbest decision-making tool since flipping a coin, even if half the time it's right.

/rant

Now to answer your question, you would be fine T'ing heads and crank hoses prior to the poorly-designed 3" inlet tube, which I also own and which I have setup this exact way. Leaving everything else otherwise stock would be fine. I had a heck of a time T'ing these two hoses. Had to remove the intake manifold to do it, which BTW is not as hard as everyone says. Just unplug and disconnect things. Only thing hard about it is bending your back for long periods of time.

There are many great ways to set it up, among them is the stock way.

Thank you sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman :). I think what i'm going do to is T everything and do it the "stock way" (since i purchased a new pcv valve anyway) and then purchase and AOS in the next week or so. My issue now is time. I need to have all my tuning done by May 15 per Infamous/Shamar :p. Thank you for your assistance!

Also, as you can see from my build, I'm not exactly following the masses per sé.

• 1 year later...
I've blocked off the inlet recirculation and removed the whole PCV system all together, the car runs much cleaner (exhaust no longer smells like burning oil) and the intercooler stays clean, too :)

Details of the plumbing please :)

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

You can't just remove it.....the bottom end has to vent somehow. You will blow your seals out and have a ton of blow by

duh... i didn't block the crankcase vent(s) lol...

Details of the plumbing please :)

not much to layout! I used this block off plate for the intake manifold -- https://squareup.com/market/mktech

removed everything else (epoxied shut the nipple on the turbo inlet) and used some tubing to attach the crank case vent (By the tranny) to this -- http://paradiseracing.com/shop/engine-components/moroso-oil-breather-tank-12an-85400/

cheers

Archived