LegacyGT.com

Replacement Car Suggestions

not anymore, many of my friend strongly discourage them(many of them mechanics) because they are notorious for leaking oil.

On a side note, I traded in my SUV today. Bought a Dodge Durango :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is. It sounded really awesome with headers by the way. Sadly the hood doesn't fit, but if you have an awesome engine swap like that....why hide it?

I suppose the owner would have gotten more bang for his buck, better packaging, and more power with an LSx motor, but he was a pretty devoted Nissan guy.

not anymore, many of my friend strongly discourage them(many of them mechanics) because they are notorious for leaking oil.

I spoke to my mechanic friend at BMW of Manhattan and he confirms alot of recalls for the twin turbo DI engines..fuel system related.

I love the VK45 it's such a nice motor. Before I found my spec.B I tried to find a nice clean low mileage 03 or so M45.

On topic what about a newer M45?

I like them too but they are kinda heavy and whats the mpgs like?

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I was in a similar position and went with the 135i - it has the newer twin scroll N55 motor - the N54 (twin turbo) had tons of fuel pump issues.

The N55 uses the same HPFP as the N54. Might want to do a little more research next time.

The N55 uses the same HPFP as the N54. Might want to do a little more research next time.

I believe the HPFP issues BMW has with the turbo engines (gas and diesel) has nothing to do with the turbo but more with either a manufacturing defect/part of the HPFP. New versions are much improved.

VW also had HPFP issues with its newer Common Rail turbo Diesel engines.

I have enough drama for now.....

I believe the HPFP issues BMW has with the turbo engines (gas and diesel) has nothing to do with the turbo but more with either a manufacturing defect/part of the HPFP. New versions are much improved.

VW also had HPFP issues with its newer Common Rail turbo Diesel engines.

The HPFP is needed for the direct injection in the N54 and N55 engines and it is the same part. And no, the new versions are not much improved because you must have missed the part where I said that the two engines use the exact same fuel pump.

Yes the HPFP is the same part (following the recall/revised HPFP). What's your point? Do you have failure rates you can share? Please don't tell me to go search the forums for failures. The N55 is in hundreds of thousands of cars WW - they are not all failing.

Besides, if the OP is spending $30K as he said, he can get a CPO 2010 with 4 years of warranty so worst case BMW fixes it (though my guess is chances are slim you get a failure).

If people made decisions based on "failures" on forums, nobody would buy an LGT.

If people made decisions based on "failures" on forums, nobody would buy an LGT.

That is a true story..I almost didn't buy one because I read this forum..and i will keep that in mind when I go buy my BMW...Acura....Lexus...or Infinity....because I haven't had a failure in my subaru..but man am I sick of the clunks and the rattles.... :) Flame on!

Yes the HPFP is the same part (following the recall/revised HPFP). What's your point? Do you have failure rates you can share? Please don't tell me to go search the forums for failures. The N55 is in hundreds of thousands of cars WW - they are not all failing.

Besides, if the OP is spending $30K as he said, he can get a CPO 2010 with 4 years of warranty so worst case BMW fixes it (though my guess is chances are slim you get a failure).

The failure rate is quite high. Looking at TrueDelta and CR confirms this, as well as numerous articles about it, including a class action suit against BMW. Some owners have gone through 3 or more HPFPs in under 40k miles. You are correct, not all BMW HPFPs will fail, ones that aren't driven will most likely never fail. ;)

One bit of good news is that BMW is extending the warranty on the HPFP to 10 yrs and 100k miles. Although that's a small consolation when it leaves you stranded on a deserted stretch of road in Deliverance country.

My point is that you said you bought the N55 to avoid the high failure rate of the HPFP in the N54. So what were the failure rates of the N54 that you used to steer you to the N55? :spin:

The failure rate is quite high. Looking at TrueDelta and CR confirms this, as well as numerous articles about it, including a class action suit against BMW. Some owners have gone through 3 or more HPFPs in under 40k miles. You are correct, not all BMW HPFPs will fail, ones that aren't driven will most likely never fail. ;)

One bit of good news is that BMW is extending the warranty on the HPFP to 10 yrs and 100k miles. Although that's a small consolation when it leaves you stranded on a deserted stretch of road in Deliverance country.

My point is that you said you bought the N55 to avoid the high failure rate of the HPFP in the N54. So what were the failure rates of the N54 that you used to steer you to the N55? :spin:

Fair point. I should not have generalized and I think the N54 is worth buying as well - I just wanted a newer car and chose the N55. Both motors are torque monsters and wonderful to drive. Both won Ward's 10 best awards (as did the 2.5L LGT motor) if that means anything.

Any car purchase involves trade offs - for me the low risk of failure coupled with warranty = happy Dork. 300hp with 300 lb/ft of torque in a sort wheelbase RWD car with balanced suspension is super fun.

Archived