LegacyGT.com

2013 Ford Escape

http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e2016304188f5e970d

So a 2.0L EcoBoost 4WD starts at $28.7k, makes 240hp/270lb-ft torque, and manages a 21/28 mpg rating. Less than a grand over the starting price of a Forester XT, and practically the same fuel economy as a 2.5X. No power seats (next trim level) or moonroof (optional) at that price though.

On the lower end, you can't get 4WD for less than $27.6k. Forester is a lot cheaper there, and offers a manual, for those who want it.

2.0L EcoBoost:

• Starting Price: $26,990 (FWD), $28,740 (4WD)
  • Power: 240 hp (premium) or 231 hp (regular) / 270 lb-ft
  • Fuel Economy: 22/30 mpg (FWD), 21/28 mpg (4WD)
  • Towing: 3,500 lbs w/ Tow Package (2,000 lbs without)

1.6L EcoBoost:

• Starting Price: $25,895 (FWD), $27,645 (4WD)
  • Power: 178 hp (premium) or 173 hp (regular) / 184 lb-ft
  • Fuel Economy: 23/33 mpg (FWD), ? (4WD)
  • Towing: 2,000 lbs

2.5L Duratec:

• Starting Price: $23,295
  • Power: 168 hp / 170 lb-ft
  • Fuel Economy: 22/31 mpg (FWD)
  • Towing: 1,500 lbs

Common Features:

• 6-speed SelectShift automatic
  • Fuel Capacity: 15.1 gallons
  • Passenger Volume: 98.1 cu. ft.
  • Cargo Volume: 34.1 (seats up), 68.1 (seats down)
  • Ground Clearance: 7.9"
  • Curb Weight: 3,502 - 3,732 lbs (or 3,598 (2.5L S FWD) to 3,769 (2.0L Titanium 4WD))

Fuel economy found on window stickers for on-order cars (see here). Still haven't found what the 1.6L EcoBoost is rated at.

Looks really cute and I definately see the market for it but I just want to say that, along with the Foz, I f---ing HATE all these wanna-be little trucks. Can't someone make a damn midsize with a fullsize motor like my old Durango? (and dont say the new durango, its the same size as my old one on the inside but GIGANTIC on the outside).

I want this thing for 32k with the full size ecoboost, 500lb tongue weight/6500lb towing capacity then I would be sold.

Looks really cute and I definately see the market for it but I just want to say that, along with the Foz, I f---ing HATE all these wanna-be little trucks. Can't someone make a damn midsize with a fullsize motor like my old Durango? (and dont say the new durango, its the same size as my old one on the inside but GIGANTIC on the outside).

I want this thing for 32k with the full size ecoboost, 500lb tongue weight/6500lb towing capacity then I would be sold.

With MPG averages having to keep rising, I doubt you'll see it unfortunately as anything that isn't a heavy duty truck is probably just going to see more and more weight reduction which generally doesn't result in sturdy SUVs.

People want MPGs, which is hard to do with a midsize SUV with a full size engine in it. Besides big vehicle and big power was never the escapes purpose, that is why ford has exploder and expedition.

And as white boy said if we keep demanding higher and higher mpg fleet averages we will see less and less big/powerful cars. There is only so far effcient engines can take you, at some point you need to reduce weight and size.

Well, you can get one with the 3.5l EcoBoost for around $40k, but it only has a 4,500 lb. towing capacity and, BTW, it's called a Flex and it's HUGE! :p

That car has been available for years in the UK, called the Ford Kuga, quite a popular little SUV as well. (I'm currently in Liverpool for business and have seen it this trip and previous trips before.)

http://www.roadtaxprices.co.uk/images/Ford_Kuga.jpg

~Sucka-Duck~

People want MPGs, which is hard to do with a midsize SUV with a full size engine in it.

What does that have to do with people who want a mid-size tow vehicle that is appropriate to drive around a busy city like Los Angeles as a DD?

Besides big vehicle and big power was never the escapes purpose, that is why ford has exploder and expedition.

Which are hideously stupid vehicles to drive in one of the cities with the worst traffic in the USA, Los Angeles. Such a misnomer.

And as white boy said if we keep demanding higher and higher mpg fleet averages we will see less and less big/powerful cars. There is only so far effcient engines can take you, at some point you need to reduce weight and size.

Well, you can get one with the 3.5l EcoBoost for around $40k, but it only has a 4,500 lb. towing capacity and, BTW, it's called a Flex and it's HUGE! :p

NO. "its HUGE". I said midsize. The Flex is stupid as far as trucks go but brilliant as far as minivans go. Id much rather have a Nissan NV2500 HD than a Ford Flex.

Should I point out that my 99 durango can tow 6500lbs without issue, has 3rd row seating for 7. Not sure the Flex is really an upgrade for me. The new Durango is not much better. Sure its has 100 more HP but gets the same mileage as mine and I don't need to tow more than I do now with a midsize vehicle and the new Dur is not a midsize.

It would be nice if we could overcome the American disinterest in diesels.... A mid sized, V6 turbo diesel could enable a decent towing capacity for mid-sized SUVs, while still returning better MPGs than the gas motors.

Initial price would likely rise a bit, but the payoff in capability and MPG should be worth it.

What does that have to do with people who want a mid-size tow vehicle that is appropriate to drive around a busy city like Los Angeles as a DD?

Exactly, what do people who want a mid-size tow vehicle have to do with a ford escape thread? The escape has always been small, its no secret its going to be small.

Also there are more cities in the USA than L.A. Sorry that some cars won't work in the land of 12 million cars.

I like the 2nd gen durangos to but they are not without there problems. I have a 02 dakota quad cab and i enjoy it.

It would be nice if we could overcome the American disinterest in diesels.... A mid sized, V6 turbo diesel could enable a decent towing capacity for mid-sized SUVs, while still returning better MPGs than the gas motors.

yes yes YES 1000TIMES YES!

Exactly, what do people who want a mid-size tow vehicle have to do with a ford escape thread? The escape has always been small, its no secret its going to be small.

Not that small, certainly bigger than a 1stG Rav4 which is a biscuit bigger than a Suzuki Samouri. Now THATS small.

Also there are more cities in the USA than L.A. Sorry that some cars won't work in the land of 12 million cars.

So you are saying that one of the biggest car markets IN THE WORLD (Los Angeles) is insignificant compared to the wasteland between the coasts or that having an additional model would not be worth it?

I like the 2nd gen durangos to but they are not without there problems. I have a 02 dakota quad cab and i enjoy it.

Im very happy with my mid-size suv as I am sure you are with your Dak. Personally, very happy to have a Magnum workhorse motor. I would be willing to trade to something a tiny bit smaller or wider but not longer or bigger in other dimensions. Needs to fit in parking spots/be easy to drive in rush hour.

/ot

I will say that the new Escape certainly has attractive styling!!!

Initial price would likely rise a bit, but the payoff in capability and MPG should be worth it.

I don't think there is an American "disinterest" in diesels. Rather, I would characterize it as a reluctance on the part of automobile manufacturers to spend the R & D dollars on getting light-duty diesel engines to meet U.S. criteria pollutant emission standards. (Note that 3/4 and 1-ton trucks have more lenient emission standards than passenger cars or light-duty [1/2-ton] trucks, which is why diesels are prevalent in that GVWR class.) This will change when the EU diesel emissions standards get racheted down in 2014, thereby forcing European market diesels to meet U.S. criteria pollutant emission standards.

Current diesel CUV/SUV offerings are all German: VW Touareg, Audi A7, Mercedes ML and GL, and BMW X5. The 2013 Mercedes GLK will have a four-cylinder turbodiesel for the U.S. market.

Isn't chrysler using a diesel in some of there SUVs in 2013?

Yes, I believe the Jeep Grand Cherokee will get a V-6 turbodiesel for 2013. I also left out the Porsche Cayenne diesel, which will also be coming as a 2013 model.

It will be interesting times as we approach 2014 and see what else makes its way to the U.S. once EU diesel emission standards are at parity with U.S. standards.

So you are saying that one of the biggest car markets IN THE WORLD (Los Angeles) is insignificant compared to the wasteland between the coasts or that having an additional model would not be worth it?

Im very happy with my mid-size suv as I am sure you are with your Dak. Personally, very happy to have a Magnum workhorse motor. I would be willing to trade to something a tiny bit smaller or wider but not longer or bigger in other dimensions. Needs to fit in parking spots/be easy to drive in rush hour.

/ot

I will say that the new Escape certainly has attractive styling!!!

Well as I said there are 12 million cars in LA county which is A LOT no doubt but compared to the 137ishmillion passenger cars in the country its no where near the majority. The wasteland between coasts makes up for many of these vehicles.

I am very happy with the dakota. The 4.7 liter v8 has turned out to be a strong reliable engine. The exhaust manifold gaskets leak a bit upon start up but they close up after a minute or two. It has almost 170k on it now. Its a SLT with most of the options, no leather or sunroof but I was suprised to see how well these Quad cabs hold there value compared to the simple extended cab. The blue book on mine is over 7,000 with 170miles on it and last time I was at a dodge dealer they offered me 5800 trade in when I was looking at a 2011 Ram.

I will be taking a close look at the new Escape when I am shopping to replace the Leggy Wagon. Styling wise, this is one of the first CUVs I have actually thought looks attractive. The 2.0 Ecoboost sounds like a great engine also. I have a pretty eclectic mix of vehicles that I am considering to replace the Leggy wagon which speaks to the dearth of sporty wagon/hatch type vehicles that are available anymore. Caddy CTS wagon, VW GTI, Ford Escape, BMW X3. The BMW wagons have been eliminated for numerous reasons mainly the lack of availability on the used market anywhere near me, not to mention the poor reliability, cost, and iDrive. Now I just have to convince my wagon/hatch exclusive wife to take a look at it.

I kind of miss the boxiness. My brother had a Mariner as a company car and I was surprised how much I actually liked it.

Ford's Ecoboost philosophy is well conceieved. Sure, Subaru, and many other companies, have been turbocharging engines for years. However, the fact that Ford is now bold enough to offer a 1.6L FI mill, to replace the 2.5L really proves that this philosophy can work.

Cars.com Review

On the 2.0L EcoBoost:

The 2.0-liter was smooth. No consumer is going to complain about this. It's what you want when you're taking a highway on-ramp or passing at speed. If you like to launch from a stoplight or gun the engine for a burst of speed on demand, it doesn't deliver.

The 2.0-liter is a noticeable step up from the 1.6-liter because you don't experience the limited straining the smaller engine faces going up hills and during hard acceleration at top speeds, but I doubt most buyers will consider moving up to the larger engine. There isn't enough of a performance gain to warrant the extra cost.

http://www.cars.com/crp/vp/images/13ford_escape/frontseats.jpg

Archived