LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Limited Auto

Greetings, I have been following this forum with great interest and excitement since January. In June I purchased my 2005 Obsidian Black Legacy 2.5GT Sedan Limited [w/Taupe interior] - auto. I have just past my 1,000 mile break-in period and thought I would related my feelings, experience, and thoughts on this fantastic automobile. First, an Obsidian Black Legacy, in shadow, shade or under an overcast sky looks like any elegant, “classic black”, automobile. However, under full sun, this car “shimmers” with the blue & green flecks floating under the surface. It is nothing short of gorgeous! No photo can ever do it justice. The taupe interior just adds grace and elegance to this already stately automobile. As to driving experience and comparisons, my second car is a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS [auto] that now has about 100,000 miles on it. Obviously the Legacy is much more comfortable to sit in and drive. The interior design and all the amenities of the Legacy are worlds beyond the Impreza. The sportshift auto is smooth and “natural” to operate. The “rush” provided by the Legacy’s turbo is captivating and addictive. My wife says that it’s like “take-off” in an airplane and you sit there expecting to be airborne any minute. However, the 0-60mph time is NOT what I had expected. It appears that for now the Legacy is doing 0-60 in about 7.8 seconds. My 2.5RS [also an auto] did 0-60 in about 8.3-8.5 seconds. I timed 0-30mph and found that the Legacy took 3-seconds to hit 20 and 4-seconds to hit 30mph. My 2.5RS [some 535lbs lighter] can do 0-30 in about 2-seconds – half the time of the Legacy. I know that the ECU doesn’t like to be “mashed”, and perhaps with time the ECU will “learn” to be faster, but… I can’t understand why the Legacy has such a slow start in 1st gear. In spite of that, even with a 7.8-second 0-60 time, the Legacy is still a :) :arrow: THRILL to drive. Keep it in 2nd and 3rd gears on a twisty curvy mountain road and you can have the time of your life. Wayne

That's auto transmissions for you. :P They are complex units and from what I'm told (you won't see me driving an auto except for a comparison test drive), I'm no expert on autox by any means, but from what I gather, a lot of that is determined by the torque converter and how it's set. Oh well, should learn to drive a stick next time. :D

[quote name='2ndchildhood']Did drive a standard for 33yrs. Bum left knee put and end to that - unless there are days I don't want to go to, or come home from, work. :([/quote] That sucks.. at least you are having fun driving your auto though! It should be a fun car to drive in the twisties with either tranny.

Subaru will just have to come to the party with a SMG variant of the M3, M5 & M6 system. Or pull it straight out of the current WRC. Could this be an option for the new GT STi ???? maybe not.... The Xbox as I like to refer to it can have its positives and negatives. Since the only option in Oz is the Xbox, for the time being its working very well. The biggest complaint I have about the Xbox to a MT is, if you have big revs on and u want to change UP, there can be a few strange noises and a huge rush as the gears link in, u have NO control over this. In a MT at least u can feather the clutch into the revs making a cleaner change and smoother power delivery.

I'm sure the performance will improve as the car breaks in. In my test drives of various GTs, I've noticed that some 5EATs seemed slower off the line than others. I can't imagine that the difference is a manufacturing variance, but more a variance based on where each TCU was in it's learning process. Ken

Archived