LegacyGT.com

dirty filter and power loss

semsub

Hi

Something goes wrong with my subie.

Really big acceleration losses, about 2-2,5 sec

Car is stage 2 05 lgt 5eat, but now it feels and drive like stock.

Turbo is fine I think, no leaks, no error codes..

Checked my flash and reflash it one more time.

But when I checked air filter,it was really dirty

Filter is OEM,and I planned to change it also with oil next week..

Can dirty filter make those acceleration and power losses?

Or I should check something else and filter cannot be the reason?

Thanks

When you say "really big acceleration losses, about 2-2,5 sec" what exactly do you mean? That there's a loss of power after 2 seconds of acceleration?

I remember my engine popped off a T valve in the vacuum hose system, which made my stage 2 LGT feel stock again as well. Might want to inspect your vacuum hoses! The T valve I had issues with can be seen here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/boost-leak-hissing-noise-160128.html?t=160128

How dirty is dirty? Yes, a dirty filter can cause those symptoms. But you're not really explaining much. 2-2.5 seconds over how long of a stretch of acceleration at what speed?

Don't flash your ECU for no reason. Things don't work that way. Maps don't unflash themselves.

How dirty is dirty? Yes, a dirty filter can cause those symptoms. But you're not really explaining much. 2-2.5 seconds over how long of a stretch of acceleration at what speed?

Don't flash your ECU for no reason. Things don't work that way. Maps don't unflash themselves.

Hi:)

dirty ?! hmm... It was dark grey and full of dust and dirt on side which air passes , and light to dark grey the other side (Changed it before winter, yes, our roads is so dirty :( )

0-60 times acceleration and slower gas pedal reaction

I think the car accelerates slower and harder 40-60 when pulling from 0 to 60

Yesterday I clean TB and the car now feels quicker , but not good as it was.

On sunday will change air filter and fuel filter , maybe that helps

Thinking about cleaning injectors, because our fuel is like roulette, today good, tomorrow not good.

I reflash only from Rev5 to Rev4 of my tune, because was thinking it was some map issue

When you say "really big acceleration losses, about 2-2,5 sec" what exactly do you mean? That there's a loss of power after 2 seconds of acceleration?

I remember my engine popped off a T valve in the vacuum hose system, which made my stage 2 LGT feel stock again as well. Might want to inspect your vacuum hoses! The T valve I had issues with can be seen here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/boost-leak-hissing-noise-160128.html?t=160128

Thanks, will check this T valve

stop messing with your map. leave it with the latest revision unless you know what you're doing.

They are pretty the same..

And my Infamous E-tune from base map to rev 5 cost me about 5 months:eek::lol::lol:

Holy.. just understand that :spin:

Absolutely (IMO). You'll get better airflow and won't have to buy another filter.

However, many members of this forum have cleaned their K&N filter and sprayed it with WAY too much oil. This resulted in oil getting pasted onto the MAF sensor, which threw a CEL. If you go K&N, read the directions for cleaning the filter. I've never had a problem.

They are pretty the same..

And my Infamous E-tune from base map to rev 5 cost me about 5 months:eek::lol::lol:

Holy.. just understand that :spin:

If they are "pretty the same" then there was no point in flashing it, right?

The point is you shouldn't be flashing or resetting your ECU unless you need to.... (tuning, CEL, etc.) Every time you reflash or reset, you lose all your learned knock and all the fuel trims, which you didn't post here.

I'd bet you'd get 1-2HP as compared to a cheap filter, so yeah probably mostly placebo. The air boxes on the LGT are very efficient as is, so I assume the 2.5i is the same. The real benefit comes from boosted applications, and the fact that you don't have to buy another filter.

Absolutely (IMO). You'll get better airflow and won't have to buy another filter.

However, many members of this forum have cleaned their K&N filter and sprayed it with WAY too much oil. This resulted in oil getting pasted onto the MAF sensor, which threw a CEL. If you go K&N, read the directions for cleaning the filter. I've never had a problem.

I was choosing apexi or hks..

I hate k&n,because before lgt I own turbo audi's with different intake setups from k&n ,nothing really good in flow if compare to others ,only oil mess

at last I was running apexi cone and just change it to new when it gets dirty, I like it

But this was not panel filters,maybe there is the different story with them

Ok,so I changed air and fuel filter,cleaned maf with maf cleaner..

So now car feels like beast again :)

Maybe will clean injectors later,because fuel filter was like junk yard

So TB cleaning,new air ,fuel filter,cleaning MAF really helps

How miles are on your engine? And when was the last time you did a tune up?

125k miles

:)

Previous owner was running stage 3 with 20g for 40k miles,then car was back to stock for about 30k miles, then I did stage 2 15k miles ago.

When previous owner return car to stock he also put new stock turbo,tmic and changed all engine gaskets,etc..

I'v got full car history and regularly do full diagnosis of engine,turbo ,etc..

For car with 125k miles ,my car is really awesome

Last filter change and other things was 3-4k miles ago,but our roads is so dirty and fuel is not good everytime

the problem is probably not the dirty air filter. poor or stockish performance on a modded LGT with more than stock boost usually will blow at the T lines under the TMIC, that will really slow u down. a bad boost solenoid can also limit u as well as a stuck waste gate in which u will run around 10 psi. Id consider some other issue other than the filter

the problem is probably not the dirty air filter. poor or stockish performance on a modded LGT with more than stock boost usually will blow at the T lines under the TMIC, that will really slow u down. a bad boost solenoid can also limit u as well as a stuck waste gate in which u will run around 10 psi. Id consider some other issue other than the filter

Maybe..

But I'v checked t lines and did leak test..

There was some other issues like rough idle

Air filter was so dirty, I can't see any white spots on it, fuel filter was also so dirty.

TB was dirty like hell,I think it was not cleaned for a long time..

But anyway this really helps, no more power loss or other issues

This car is a mystery..

:spin::)

Archived