LegacyGT.com

Dyno Baseline: The Boost Creep/Infamous, 260WHP/300WTRQ, BNR evo3 16g, 2.5L, 17.

• 2 years later...

I added this to a different thread as well, but here's my BNR16G these days, it's got about 50k miles on it at this point and I've driven the sh*t out of it. Tuned awesomely by cryo.

BNR16G at 20psi

91 octane: 294hp/313tq

e85: 336hp/360tq

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/dil222/comparison.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I added this to a different thread as well, but here's my BNR16G these days, it's got about 50k miles on it at this point and I've driven the sh*t out of it. Tuned awesomely by cryo.

BNR16G at 20psi

91 octane: 294hp/313tq

e85: 336hp/360tq

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/dil222/comparison.jpg

What dyno was that on? How does it compare to the dyno dynamics you were originally tuned on? Also, what was your correction factor? I dynod at the boostcreep a couple months back and made 275whp with an 18g on pump at 18psi but I also have an auto and didn't want to push it too much because it is already slipping now and again even on my low boost map (250whp)

It was the dyno cryo tunes on, not sure what type. I had a baseline from his dyno day and it seemed like it was probably about 10 ft lbs higher than Boost Creep at about exactly the same horsepower. They use an atmospheric station correction that varies according to weather (like MAC does), I think it as 1.2 that day, but not completely sure.

As a comparison my trap speed was 106.5mph in the 1/4 weighing 3520 lbs. If you go to http://www.cprparts.com/HPcalculator.html and enter that in it says I'm making 332hp at the rear wheels and 398hp at the flywheel so it's fairly close to accurate.

It's hard to make a comparison my setup to yours, I have large primary ELH on these days which seemed to really open things up with e85. That was at 20psi, a 16g shouldn't be making that power at 20psi. It's a combination of Dave's (cryo) tuning and the right parts.

It's also hard to do any sort of comparison manual to auto. They are such different beasts due to the super smooth auto transmission.

My mods list has changed from the previous dyno so that's also part of it:

Mufflers - put on a pair of Borla ProXS mufflers. For years I drank the Koolaid that the stock mufflers were just fine. But then I found an old Outback with a burned valve, bought it, fixed it and it's the grocery getter now, so I don't mind a louder Legacy. The difference in transient response and perceived boost threshold is huge. I never could mentally get past how much I was reducing from the AVO Y to the stock mufflers. I also had to port out some protrusion that AVO left in their Y for where the pipes come together. There was about 1/4" of pipe forward in to the exhaust stream that bugged me.

Inlet - people say the inlet does nothing, but that wasn't my experience. Right after I put it on I would boost spike 2psi higher and the transient response improved. Aftermarket inlets have a much smoother curve from the intake to the turbo and they also have a greater volume of static air for the turbo to initially pull from. I'm a believer they are worth it.

DW850 injectors - my old tune was sort of limited by the stock injectors. I wish I had ID1000s. I've had two problems now related to the DW850s and I don't trust them.

Crawford AOS - At 145k I see some blowby, I didn't want that oil in my mixture. Even more though I'm just lazy and it annoyed me that I was having to add oil every now and then because it was getting burned through the PCV.

Full Race ELH - This was just kind of a post-divorce "I want to do this" sort of thing. This definitely moved my curve to the right, but the overall transient response is pretty favorable. Off-boost it felt like I was driving a car with a bigger motor.

Intake - still stock, but with a K&N filter. Initially I felt I needed an intake, but I hate BOV noise. Measuring the area of the intake inlet, it's actually bigger than the area of the intake outlet. I still think an intake would help boost threshold a bit, but I just can't do the BOV noise anymore.

cryotune - can't say enough great things about Dave (cryo).

This winter I may pull the motor to refresh it, remove TGVs, replace worn rubber hoses and gaskets. 100k hard miles ago I had 7% leakdown in one cylinder. I think that's getting to me enough that I feel like I'm sitting on a timebomb no matter how great it's running. I almost pulled the motor to replace the valve cover gasket. I just know that once you pull the motor it's a slippery slope of scope creep. At the very least I'm going to get rid of the DW850s before I lose a motor to them and install some ID1000s.

Thanks for the response, we may have to see how different our power bands are one of these days. Do you have a bov? If so why? My understanding was that unless your running speed density it's not a good idea. I plan on grabbing a Cobb recirc soon because, well bovs just don't serve a purpose on my application.

What issues are you having with your dws? My 740s are doing well so far, but as my tuner put it, "with dws some people get lucky some people dont, with Id1000 everyone gets lucky."

I really want to do the conversion but it's a little too pricy for me right now

My BOV/CBV is recirculating. I got it because I thought the stocker was leaking open and I wanted something rebuildable.

My DW850 issues:

1) When I first installed them #3 was dead (awesome since it's under the coolant reservoir). Swapped it out with #2 and then #2 was dead. Tapped it a few times with the car running and it started working.

2) Then new #3 was getting misfires (the injector that worked earlier). Swapped it out with #1 and the misfire followed the injector.

So two problems with two different injectors. Harvey at Boost Creep told me he doesn't sell them anymore and I'll eventually lose a motor due to them, I tend to believe him after the issues I've seen. I'm going to ID1000s.

Ya Harveys the man, probably a good idea for me too just gotta pay off some bills first. Nice #s though, sometimes I wonder if I should've gone smaller than the 18g, but it's good for what it is, Harvey was able to get full boost at 4k and thats just fine with me :-). I'm gonna pm you in a bit here about your intercooler spray system; really cool man.

Hey, I pulled my intercooler sprayer, I don't use it anymore, too much trouble for almost no gains. If you want it PM me and make me an offer I can't refuse. :)

I wish I'd gone bigger turbo, but the stock motor has its limits and at the time I was staying with stock fueling.

Archived