LegacyGT.com

Finished the STi swap!

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y330/boobsak/78c1799c.jpg

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y330/boobsak/5ddd7b3c.jpg

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y330/boobsak/e303cd35.jpg

It was way worth it. looks awesome and my car is faster, and doesnt fall on its face like it did with the VF40. I'm extremely satisfied.

Looks good. I love my swap as well. Even though its an old school way of getting more power vs the newer setups, alot can be done and had with the sti swap. What turbo did you end up going with?

How long did the swap take you?

Swap took me about two days of leisurely work on it including trying to find a few vacuum ports that were missing from the new manifold. Luckly I have some awesome friends with big parts piles ha.

How much fun is it?

Doing the swap, or the car after the swap? Doing the actual swap was pretty fun. Had to use a lot of body English to get some of the clamps off and on. The car is much more fun now. Holds boost til redline, doesn't fall on its face in the high RPM's anymore.

how much faster is it?

There is a big increase in the butt dyno. I'll have to go to the track and race my friend in his stock lgt and see for sure. There's no AWD dyno up here.

missing a hose on your TB- i see a bare nipple:eek:

It's the coolant nipple. I deleted that hose and just ran a small piece to bypass it. Apparently running hot coolant through your throttle body makes sense. "Lets just heat up the air we just cooled off!"

It's the coolant nipple. I deleted that hose and just ran a small piece to bypass it. Apparently running hot coolant through your throttle body makes sense. "Lets just heat up the air we just cooled off!"

It doesnt heat the air up, the tb is a smooth internal surface for air to flow through(unlike an intercooler), the velocity of the air at that point plus the amount of aluminum that is actually hot makes NO functional difference in IATs. I love it when people refer to this function like subaru were idiots when they designed it...

It doesnt heat the air up, the tb is a smooth internal surface for air to flow through(unlike an intercooler), the velocity of the air at that point plus the amount of aluminum that is actually hot makes NO functional difference in IATs. I love it when people refer to this function like subaru were idiots when they designed it...

So what is it for then, oh subaru master?

So what is it for then, oh subaru master?

The throttle body is aluminum. The butterfly is steel. Which material has the higher coefficient of thermal expansion? Aluminum does, by almost 2x (depending on the alloys of each).

In the cold, the TB contracts more than the butterfly does and can prevent the butterfly from opening and closing smoothly. Warm the car up, the TB warms up, and the butterfly moves freely.

There is also the possibility that happens on old carb'd vehicles, Icing. There is a pretty substantial pressure drop across the throttle body and that can cause humid charge air to condense and freeze when it's cold out. The coolant flow-through prevents that.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Its to prevent the throttle plate and motor from seizing up in freezing temperatures. FXT, OBX, LGT's all have this coolant routing. The reason sti people bypass this setup is to reduce the heat transfer from the tb to the intake manifold which is aluminum. Yet another reason why the composite manifold the LGT and wrx uses is superior to the aluminum sti one. We would find no benefit in bypassing the system as composite does not heat soak nearly as much as aluminum.

Archived