LegacyGT.com

Homemade Grill

I like the step, it adds definition to the piece. That's a great tip about the bleach. Over the weekend one of the car shows, talked about using brake fluid to remove paint off of plastic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I like the step, it adds definition to the piece. That's a great tip about the bleach. Over the weekend one of the car shows, talked about using brake fluid to remove paint off of plastic.

Oh look, an opportunity to put that (pending) PhD to work. It all breaks down to "like dissolves like". Car paint isn't water soluble (for good reason, we'd rather it didn't wash away) because it' nonpolar. To dissolve it, you need to use a more nonpolar solvent like acetone or ethyl acetate. Now bleach is a whole different ballgame and is acting as a powerful oxidizing agent, which scares me a little more with plastic as it likes to release chlorine gas, which is "no bueno" for anyone involved.

HOT KNIFE. :forheadsmack: :grumble: :banging head into wall: So much easier than dremel. How can I be so stupid? Well done OP. Lesson learned.

Just did my grill as well as OP last week (no pics on computer yet but looks about identical). Read hot knife and flipped out too! Could have easily saved 2 hours with the Dremel!

Oh look, an opportunity to put that (pending) PhD to work. It all breaks down to "like dissolves like". Car paint isn't water soluble (for good reason, we'd rather it didn't wash away) because it' nonpolar. To dissolve it, you need to use a more nonpolar solvent like acetone or ethyl acetate. Now bleach is a whole different ballgame and is acting as a powerful oxidizing agent, which scares me a little more with plastic as it likes to release chlorine gas, which is "no bueno" for anyone involved.

So how much would you suggest that I dilute the bleach bucket before soaking a grill?

Hm yeah I thought of doing the same exact thing with bondo to remove the step but I didn't get into it. I used the same method with the tape but I used a 2 part material instead of the fiberglass. Different methods similar results, good times! Better than paying $300 eh?

Definitely. :D

Yes...the bleach method definitely emits some dangerous fumes when it's doing it's thing and should be done in a VERY well ventilated area. A more ideal way of removing the chrome plating would probably be to use something like an acid, but acids are much harder to come by for the average joe.

So how much would you suggest that I dilute the bleach bucket before soaking a grill?

When I do it, (and I've used the bleach method to remove chrome from plastic for all kinds of projects for the past 12-13 years), I usually find a container big enough to completely submerge the part in. Then I pour in the bleach full-strength so it's submerged and let it sit overnight. In the morning, I'll replace the bleach with fresh bleach and repeat until all (or most) of the chrome and underlying nickel and copper plating is gone. Whatever is left gets sanded clean to bare plastic. It takes some time, and a lot of bleach depending on the size of the part, but works.

Well I work 2nd shift and don't go in till 3pm. I wake up so early I've got all day to do it most days. I'm sure I could have it done in a week. Maybe even less. Mine took about two and I didn't touch it for a week at one point. Plus now I'll be a bit quicker and better at it.

When I do it, (and I've used the bleach method to remove chrome from plastic for all kinds of projects for the past 12-13 years), I usually find a container big enough to completely submerge the part in. Then I pour in the bleach full-strength so it's submerged and let it sit overnight. In the morning, I'll replace the bleach with fresh bleach and repeat until all (or most) of the chrome and underlying nickel and copper plating is gone. Whatever is left gets sanded clean to bare plastic. It takes some time, and a lot of bleach depending on the size of the part, but works.

No worries of the bleach deteriorating the plastic?

No worries of the bleach deteriorating the plastic?

I've never had an issue with it deteriorating the plastic. The metal reacts with the bleach and as it goes along, the bleach becomes "used up" and becomes pretty inert. That's why you have to keep replenishing the bleach. It's only the chrome and metal that seems to react to the bleach. The plastic seems unaffected...

I went to pick that other grill I PM'ed about, I'll have to go back on Monday. Seems he forgot it at home today.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ah that sucks. Well, I'm ready when you're good to go. Looks like I'll make another one after yours with the extra one and sell it on here.

Maybe I'll mention it when I'm almost done and I can paint it how someone wants it if they wanna buy it.

Was thinking about adding a non glossy clear coat for better protection. Don't know though.

• 1 year later...

Archived