What Wheels For You (Upgrade) ?

AMT4SWA

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking about putting these on my Obsidian Black 05' 2.5i wagon:

5zigen "super sixes"

17x7

gunmetal with a polished lip (5 lug of course). I'm into the "stealth" look and don't want anything too flashy.

I might stick with the 215/45/17 tires. I'm told the offset on these wheels,+48, won't allow for 225's ... is this true?

Your opinions please.

zigsup_gm_ang.jpg.8793c6bb4fc09f7eb2ddb0ba3b45124f.jpg

Those 5zigen's aren't horrible looking wheels, but I think there are much better options for the legacy. Those look more like fast and furious wheels. I personally like a classy multispoke design. Again, only opinions.

I can't figure out what wheels I am going to get for my wagon. Seth and I have went around about finding a "spec-b"-esque spoked rim. I don't really want to go with the Prodrive P1's because they really remind me of a WRX. I would like to get a set of the Rota Tarmac II's that can be seen on Subydude's site. I question the quality of those rims though. Can't complain about the price though. The stock rims are nice and I am sure they are strong, it would just be nice to have a wheel that differentiates my car from the pack.

Me and Ross are completely on the same page here. Seperated at birth? :lol: You're right about the P1's though, even though they are of similar design, it doesn't look right on a Leggy IMO. The GC-010's/Tarmac II's look a bit more industrial, a bit more to the style of the Legacy IMO.

I think the stock rims suit the car. Visually, the heft of the thick spokes seem to match the Legacy. Narrow spoke wheels, like the Rota Subzeros that I currently have on my GT, are not quite in balance with the rest of car. Too bad thicker spoke usually equals heavier wheel. The Rotas are ~6 pounds lighter than stock Tom

And not nearly as strong either. ;) The subzeros worry me as I've heard of a few bad incidents with them and not so well support from Rota. With the kind of support I've heard of for their products, myself and others are weary of placing our trust and lives in their hands.

What do you guys think about black wheels on a black car? I thought black spokes with a polished lip might lighten it, visually. I just see so much "bling-bling" chrome these days that I'm trying to stay as far away from looking even remotely "pimp". Which brings me to a nooBy question...do you guys think gold would look to flashy on a Legacy Wagon? :D

[quote name='bluefogz']What do you guys think about black wheels on a black car? I thought black spokes with a polished lip might lighten it, visually. I just see so much "bling-bling" chrome these days that I'm trying to stay as far away from looking even remotely "pimp". Which brings me to a nooBy question...do you guys think gold would look to flashy on a Legacy Wagon? :D[/quote] Pontiac, and yes. Kevin

If I remember correctly there were some issues WAY back that were specific to the Subzeros. The issue got a lot a air time but I am only aware of one race related incident (there might be more) and I believe it was traced to a particular casting. Pretty sure Rota took care of everybody. I have had no issues with my Rotas and I have hit some potholes pretty hard. Gary Sheehan uses Subzeros on his race car. As far as fit 'n finish goes I suspect that Prodrive or similar would be to a higher standard although my Rotas are holding up fine. I would consider buying another set of Rotas in a different style. Although, I have seen some used Prodrives that looked interesting. Tom

[quote]What do you guys think about black wheels on a black car?[/quote] Personally, black wheels are my least favorite look. Actually, I loathe it :) [quote]do you guys think gold would look to flashy on a Legacy Wagon?[/quote] My second least favorite look. Tom

At first I loved the sub-zero's because I was a fan of thier racing hart counterpart. But the spokes would be waaay to small for the legacy. they are too racey. Black rim's don't do it for me. You should look at a gunmetal color :D [img]http://www.subydude.com/images/prod/products/Wheels/rt17tarmac2500gm_03.jpg[/img] the image here is dark, but they shine with a bronze hue in the light.. If you want black, this might be a compromise in colors.

[quote name='WRXTom']If I remember correctly there were some issues WAY back that were specific to the Subzeros. The issue got a lot a air time but I am only aware of one race related incident (there might be more) and I believe it was traced to a particular casting. Pretty sure Rota took care of everybody. I have had no issues with my Rotas and I have hit some potholes pretty hard. Gary Sheehan uses Subzeros on his race car.[/quote] Race and street are two different things, but like has been noted, they just don't fit too well with the look of the new Leggys. A friend of mine in Madison sells wheels, he was looking into selling Rota, and asked them if they had remedied those quality problems, all they said is if you don't like it, then don't sell it. Said nothing to back up their previous problems or how they had been remedied to him, only made rude comments basically our customers will take chances if they like the wheel. Didn't really stand behind their product. He also mentioned a few other instances of breaks, I'd have to search to find them, but I trust Jon on them. Just makes me leary with how they back their products. Even other low-cost wheel mfgs back their products better in general. At least their US distributor arm. I'm not sure where others have bought Prodrives, I might just get mine through Prodrive-USA if I decide to get Prodrives. I really haven't seen much lesser prices on their wheels.

Forgive me for sounding like such a Subaru rookie(because I am!) but why does there seem to be such a huge Rota following with Subaru owners? Is there a history there? What is the main appeal with those wheels? Is it the quality? Price? Look?

[quote name='bluefogz']Forgive me for sounding like such a Subaru rookie(because I am!) but why does there seem to be such a huge Rota following with Subaru owners? Is there a history there? What is the main appeal with those wheels? Is it the quality? Price? Look?[/quote] Look and price. When you see them in person, the quality just isn't there for me. They make a Tarmac, that is the replica of the Prodrive P1. But it's the wrong offset, and just doesn't look as nice as the P1. I don't know if it's as durable or not, but my P1s, when my GT wagon shows up, will be going on their third car. Kevin

Basically, Rotas are cheap. I bought mine used so they were REALLY cheap. Compared to new Prodrives I paid about 30% of the list price. They are close replicas of the original manufacture's version of the wheel. They are very popular with WRX owners since the car begged for a 17" wheel (like is standard in other markets) and many owners just didn't want to (like me), or weren't in a financial position to, spend the money for the brand name wheels. The stock GT wheels are 17" so unless you are looking to change the look of the car with another 17" wheel (I wouldn't spend the money), are going to 18" (the ride quality will likely become quite jittery) or are going forged ($$$) to save weight (always a good idea but at what cost) there really is no reason to change them for performance reasons. The Rota offset works just fine, Prodrive has Subaru specific wheels with the same width (7.5") and offset (48mm), but it is certainly different than stock. The Rotas have served me well but I will likely make mine my winter wheels. I prefer the look of the stock wheels. If you can't stomach the price of new Prodrives check out some of the other forums for used Prodrives. I've seen them on a regular basis. Tom

A guy in Kansas City was trying to sell five P1s for $700, for local pick up. It's also worth noting that if I didn't already have the P1s, I wouldn't buy new wheels. Or I would, but they would be snow-specific wheels, making the stock GT wheels the main wheels. The P1s are 17x7 with a +53 offset. They will sit out in the fender well a bit more than stock, but the effect will be negligible vs a +48 offset, 17" wheel. Another interesting thing to note for all you P1 devotees, is that there is still the persistent rumor that the early models (like mine) were lighter, back when they were essentially unobtainum. My P1s, shod with 215-45-17 Dunlop SP9000s weigh 38 lbs per wheel, which lends some credence to this theory. More recent examples of the P1, coming in at about 20 lbs per wheel, are getting about 42 lbs with a similar weight tire. Who knows? Wheel weight doesn't really matter all that much, unless you're adding some big, blingy, 12 lbs per corner heavier chrome thing or something. Kevin

Well the wheels are on and they fit, it is tight but the front end has natural negative camber so far on a heavy turn no rubbing either on the strut or fender there is still a good 1.5" between wheel/rubber and strut..

2622185_ResizeofPICT0515.JPG.0df4ae00bca3292c99e037bf246669a5.JPG

PICT0518.thumb.JPG.a6bd1c6bba88759e29b04b2a175a2096.JPG

Those look nice. It seems as though a 7.5" wheel is all that is going to look nice on the GT then. I don't think I will spend money on another 17" rim since they come from the factory.. I would go 18". Honestly I probably won't get any rims at all since they stockers are going to be more than adequate, Plus they look very nice!

[quote name='nicd']Prodrive GC06D 17x7.5 +48 Tire Falken Azenis 225/17/45 Soo much grip really the car hadles better than my WRX with the STI suspension. Turn is razor sharp.[/quote] That's good to hear, nicd. I was wondering about that, and the difference that nice rubber would make. With the offset and wheel/tire width difference, what you have in effect done is widened the track of your GT. Man, I'm dying...DYING, I tell you. I want my wagon! Kevin

Archived