LegacyGT.com

1993 legacy sedan crank pulley fell off!

This is what makes your car run right

so it needs to be done right.

Go to a junk yard. Get the crank pulley,

crank gear behind the pulley and the

woodruff key (the half moon shaped one)

from the crank and replace all of that and

put it back on there with the junkyard bolt. If

you use JB Weld on that you're not gonna

like it. Get the timing covers and gaskets

and spend the $30-50 and do it the right

way in case you ever need to take it back

off. With that many miles on it you may

want to consider getting the idler pulleys

and a timing belt too. Also, you may want to

check the crank to make sure the keyway isnt

damaged where the woodruff key goes.There's

a reason that car has that many miles and it's

because it was taken care of. If you continue

to take good care of it that thing can last another

300k.

Is it an automatic or a manual?

the jb weld is just gonna cover the hole that the pulley made. it will still be able to be removed and reinstalled when necessary. the timing belt was done about 20 or 30k miles ago so it is fine. a new key is probably a good idea. i haven't had time to work on it so i'm not sure how the key or the crank looks. I thought in the meantime i could get a bolt so when i did have time i would have the parts i need. There doesn't seem to be much for subarus in junkyards around here and i don't have time to keep checking them. The closest junkyard to me is about 50 miles away so by the time i make a couple trips there i could have just bought new parts for the cost of the gas i burned. can someone point me to a place where i can look up part numbers and whatnot.

this has happened to me twice first time the key completly damaged the pulley got a new one just wasn't tight enough so it fell ooff I just put it on and torqued correctly. me and a friend and been making some crank pulleys that we have drilled holes matching to the crank gear and have 2 pins backing up the key. its nice

I think bbs.legacycentral.org would be a good place

to go when looking for parts. People are always selling

stuff on there. You could open up a new post asking

if anyone is selling those things. I would definitely try

and stick with genuine Subaru parts though. And you

must live in Florida haha There's never any Subaru's

in the junk yards here :/

I'm going to the junkyard soon. I could probably find you a bolt and send it to you for what I pay for it plus shipping. Ordering a new one would be an even better idea and be pretty cheap. I bet it would only be about $6 or so. But just replacing the bolt is not a good fix as has already been stated. But I am also happy to send you one if I can get one off at the junkyard, lol. They can be pretty stubborn w/o an impact gun. Yeah, just order one from the dealership or the internet.

Here is a diagram from the Subaru FSM. The bolt you need is no. 14, part no. 8002 13030. Part name: Bolt-13x65x28.

Legacywagon, if you ever need a first gen part I'll take a look when I go roaming the yards. :) Also, I might be able to pick up an SS for you w/5MT for $1k, lol.

crankpulley.jpg.90c7d0890108d98b11c803332a44ddbb.jpg

The parts you really should get from that

diagram are 14, 15, 16 and 8.

Dude, that's freakin awesome :D I'm sure

I'll take you up on that at some point as

I have two of these and no parts cars :/

And that'd be freakin sweet!

Also, if you see any 2.5RS's or WRX's or

STi's grab me a short shifter linkage ;) haha

It is a preventative measure. As your bolt came loose your pulley was spinning around at a high rate of speed and as a result had a large amount of angular momentum. As it slipped off it the angular momentum could have deformed the pulley and crank sensor causing play upon where they sit on the crankshaft. If you just want to replace the bolt put the bits back on and see if there is any play. If there isn't any, bolt that stuff back on and away you go. :)

Most likely your crank pulley fell off for one

of two reasons. Either your bolt wasnt tight

enough...which happens. Or the key twisted

and ate the pulley/timing gear/ key and it

pushed the bolt back out by force and vibration.

• 2 weeks later...
The pulley looks like it is still good to go. I jb welded the timing cover and I think that should work fine. my wife is gonna go pick up the new bolt today. they had to order it go figure. I drove the car up on some ramps and got the hotsy out and cleaned 10 years of oil leak debris off the under side. I still don't know where the oil is coming from. I always assumed front crank seal but it actually looks good. how hard is it to change valve cover gaskets? That is my next best guess.

It should be much easier to tell where it's

leaking from now that it's clean. If it's the

sides it's the valve cover gaskets. If it's

the front it's the front main or cam seals.

The rear is probably the rear main.

I did my valve cover gaskets when the

engine was out so it was practically a

zero on the difficulty scale. You can do

it without pulling the engine. You'll probably

have to remove the air box, intake tube,

battery and washer tank and some random

hoses and stuff. It's 3 bolts on each side and

your kit hopefully will come with new grommets

for the bolts too. It's not a hard job.

Valve covers are easy peasy. :)

It's hard to get a socket in there but a wrench can! The factory service manual calls for about 3.6 ft lbs (which feels like almost nothing) on the grommet bolts so go easy. The bolts will bottom out too, so if you feel them stop, then quit. You don't want to strip them.

It's a good idea to clean the mating surfaces with a scotch brite pad after you remove the rocker/valve covers and will help you to see future leaks.

You can buy a U.V. oil treatment that you pour into your oil intake. Then drive around for a day and shine a black light on your engine and wherever the leak is you will see a glow. Another likely culprit is your cam-cap o-rings. They sit behind the engine toward the firewall. One on each side. I would recommend replacing them since they always go bad (About $5 or so each). In order to replace the driver's side, the timing components must be off, not so on the passenger side.

Here is a diagram that illustrates the driver's side. Like Legacy Wagon said, you will have to remove the washer tank, etc. Also removing the oil intake tube makes things easier.

rockercovers.jpg.efd3af89433725f74e9135d104a4d608.jpg

Valve covers are easy peasy. :)

Another likely culprit is your cam-cap o-rings. They sit behind the engine toward the firewall. One on each side. I would recommend replacing them since they always go bad (About $5 or so each).

Where are these at? Do you have any pictures?

I'm about to pull the engine on Sunday and I'm

wondering about where these are so I can go

ahead and replace them.

Here is the diagram from my trusty FSM! :) Parts 3 & 9 are the camshaft supports. Part 2 is the O-ring. The o-ring (part name 46.5x2) is part no. 8069 46030 and are about $5 or so each from the dealer. The driver's side seems to go bad first for some reason.

701864154_camshaftbelt.jpg.dab6b7d79f29abe931aea4241e8ac6fb.jpg

Really easy. I didn't even remove the air intake or anything when I replaced them on my second gen. The hard part was finding the passenger side because of oil gunk, lol. Like I said, only the driver's side has to have the cam sprocket off to get to it.

Here is another diagram with the torque specs. Not much at all, 7 ft lbs for all bolts but one, and 12 ft lbs for the other.

camshaftspecs.jpg.ea28bb812aabef9405480cc7a11d44f7.jpg

Yes I did but it only leaks when driving for some reason. so the fan just blows oil back all over everything. I had the timing cover off and it all looked clean. Could it be leaking between the plastic and the head where the cam is? It looks like it is right around where the dipstick tube is welded to the pan possibly

Archived