LegacyGT.com

Question about next upgrade

Hey guys i've got a 2009 legacy gt and so far all i've done is put on a magnaflow catback. I'm wondering what would be the best thing to get next in terms of performance and the most bang for the buck. From what i've read it seems like an accessport would be the best option but they seem really expensive for what you're getting plus i'd have to get a downpipe in order to stage 2. Would it be better/less expensive to just get a new downpipe and get it tuned elsewhere? Any thoughts??

btw my budget is around $600, maybe $700 right now.

Up to you whether you take it to a tuner or do it yourself via accessport. Each method has its advantages. A really good tuner should easily give better results than the AP, plus they'll personalize it for your requests.

Would your car pass the typical tuner checklist? Many shops post them on their websites. If it won't pass right now, you'll be spending part of your budget on catch-up work.

You *should* use a similar checklist before self-tuning via AP. But you have the option of skipping it if you don't care.

^ thats pricey. If you have to ability/knowledge/confidence to flash the car yourself you can get a great etune for $150 for the first tune (full tune with several revisions) and less for subsequent tunes. There are many online guys that can do this: Eric w/ Torqued Performance (my tuner), Dave w/ Cryo Performance (great CO guy) .... I prefer a local road tune as I dont want to screw anything up personally but to each his own. If you want any contact info for those tuners PM me

At a min, get your DP installed then look at Stg2 tunes, even better if you have e85 around

My Tuner was less then that. http://www.tuningalliance.com

If your good with a lap top you can buy a couple of cables and buy you maps from a Tuner and load them.

Me, both my cars have Cobb AP. My Tuner loads the maps into the AP then uploads them in the ecu. He has had my 05 on the dyno but did street tunes before that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

He is 09 = pricey tactrix cable not cheapy vagcom iirc. For someone who doesn't know anything about RR, LV or tuning the car it might honestly be easier for him to get a CNT downpipe and AP. You can always resell the AP for 85% of its new value and can also load tunes onto it. Not the worst purchase but will push the total with install to nearly $1000.

He is 09 = pricey tactrix cable not cheapy vagcom iirc. For someone who doesn't know anything about RR, LV or tuning the car it might honestly be easier for him to get a CNT downpipe and AP. You can always resell the AP for 85% of its new value and can also load tunes onto it. Not the worst purchase but will push the total with install to nearly $1000.

+1, and you're right LALGT, he'd need the Tactrix Openport 2.0 which is around $180ish if he went opensource.

sways

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-274/Hotchkis-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

DP

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-289/CNT-Performance-Subaru-Legacy/Detail

adapter

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-393/3%22-Downpipe-to-Factory/Detail

install it yourself and get an open source tune at a well reviewed local shop and you don't even need the cable. The installs are both relatively easy with some half decent tools. I'd say leave yourself an afternoon for either if you aren't terribly experienced, but it really isnt hard. A set of ramps will help you out a ton.

Archived