LegacyGT.com

Dashboard protectants

Interested if anyone knows of a good dashboard protectant for the LGT/LTD that will not be greasy and shiny. I just want a good protectant that will prevent future fading and cracking. I live in New Hampshire so not too worried about tinting.

Let me know!

Joe

I just wiped the dash with the same towel that I used for the leather protectant to do the seats. It's not greasy and non-shiney, plus it has all the UV protectant stuff that the leather does now. Hopefully it will work out nicely, since I've only had the car for about 300 miles. Also, I bought one of those folding visors for the front windshield, hopefully that will protect my dash too.

Usually even if your protectant turns out to be shiney and greasy you can solve that by buffing it with a dry towel. I order my rubber/vinyl protectant from www.premiumautocare.com. I use the Four Star brand protectant. Its probably about the best that I have used as far as not being shiney or greasy. I don't treat the dash every week, but I do use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer to stay on top of keeping it looking good. That stuff is actually awesome on keeping all of the surfaces in the Legacy looking good including the leather. Its safe to get on the stereo display which is saying a lot. Most dash protectants cause problems to those. I don't know how much protection it lays down, but I do know that it is a pretty awesome quick detailer for the inside of the car. I still condition the leather and protect the dash once a month, but since the inside of this car seems to get dirty so quickly, having this Meguiar's product is a lifesaver. Its like $5 bucks at your local AutoZone or PepBoys.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I don't know if you were talking to me or not, but the Meguiar's product is a spray. Those products with the wet wipe type things are not really the best things out there. Its cheaper and better to buy the bottle and use your own shop towels or something.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

sweet....is that the disposable towels that come in a canister that are pre-moistened?

If you are talking to me, then no as well. I used a leather protectant, poured it into the towel, then rubbed it on my leather seats. Without too much excess product on the towel, enough of the protectant will be left to give dash a nice wipe down.

I agree with OCDetails; Experience w/ other cars I've had proves the disposable wipes aren't worth a damn.

any thoughts on 303 protectant ?

That is what use for all of my cars. Works on leather, dash, etc. Supposedly has the highest UV protectant around. Leaves a nice matte finish with a slight shine, but as OCDetails pointed out, any shine from any product can be buffed down for a matte look. I also like Vinylex, but it is definitely shinier on a dashboard, so I tend to use it more on my tires (shiny, but not wet looking).

Guest *Jedimaster*
Armor All used to make a "Low Gloss" formula, but I think they discontinued it. I miss that stuff. And Big League Chaw. I miss that too.

I just used the Meguiar's quick interior detailer last week and can attest that it WORKS! Made dash, console, and doors look really nice and also cleaned up a sticky soda mess on the passenger seat. Absolutely no shine, makes the dash look like new. This stuff is a keeper. Used a microfiber towel, sprayed product on towel, wiped down surfaces. Good stuff.

any thoughts on 303 protectant ?

I use the stuff, and it is one of the better kept secrets of RV'er's. They swear by the stuff... I have been using it for about 2 yrs, and I haven't seen another protectant that is as good as this one.

If you have R&S Strauss Auto stores near you, they usually sell it for like $1 for an 8oz bottle, and $2 for a 16oz bottle. Why they sell it so cheap I have no idea, but it's to my advantage not to inform them of it's true market price!

Archived