LegacyGT.com

Knock Sensor - 2005 Legacy GT

Just did the check again on the intake manifold to TGV area. No change as I suspected. No bubbling or change in idle with intake cleaner either. Sprayed all areas of the intercooler and vacuum hoses. Same no changes.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it looks like you now have zero leak, and the MAF is working OK. How old is your O2 sensor?

Also, I am now wondering if you've been tuned with a leak.. One of my cars was tuned with a boost leak before I bought it. When I found the leak, the LV got even worse. After a proper tune, my lv was super clean. Some food for thoughts..

Also, have a read at this thread:http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/engine-running-rich-af-learning-d-12-15-252467.html

Even though his lv was showing the opposite compared to yours, MAF wiring harness could also be the culprit.

So it looks like you now have zero leak, and the MAF is working OK. How old is your O2 sensor?

Also, I am now wondering if you've been tuned with a leak.. One of my cars was tuned with a boost leak before I bought it. When I found the leak, the LV got even worse. After a proper tune, my lv was super clean. Some food for thoughts..

Also, have a read at this thread:http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/engine-running-rich-af-learning-d-12-15-252467.html

Even though his lv was showing the opposite compared to yours, MAF wiring harness could also be the culprit.

I can't say 100% leak free but it's definitely looking that way. The obvious one is still the TMIC but that isn't leaking through right now so I'll say pretty damn close to it.

Yes, it's a good chance the car was tuned with some leaks and eventually they showed through since before I got to it the car would randomly throw lean codes out and then after a reset wouldn't come back. The oxygen sensor is about 2 years old so I can't say it's even a problem right now.

I'll take a look at the article in a little bit. I did straighten the MAF wiring instinctively since I had that random moment where it didn't see the MAF even though it was plugged in.

Then to be sure you are leak free, you'd have to shell out 100$ or so for a smoke test. Then if there is really no leak, I'd say it's the tune assuming 02 sensor is in good shape.

I'm gonna try make a smoker this coming weekend with the ones posted. It's the burning of stuff that makes me not to happy about doing it. Lol.

Will do. Potentially found a good close candidate for an o-ring in standard size. The o-ring we usually use is 32mm OD X 28mm ID X 2mm. The one I found is a 023-90 size in standard and it's a 1-1/16 X 1-3/16 X 1/16

Here's the calculated 2mm to inches

Image1462826980.944885.jpg.e19f998df876e6746eedfa962aaada95.jpg

Here's the 1/16" in decimal

Image1462826989.992187.jpg.b7fa76d534bc6ecbbac84b245bd6afa4.jpg

Here's the replacing or candidate o-ring mounted on our MAF. not bad. The height is just shy of filling the recessed space and the width is 0.0162 of an inch difference.

Image1462826998.300250.jpg.33060bdcb07e8043ed3aec5bae4a2b67.jpg

so i put the new o-ring on my sensor and used the STI o-ring on the LGT. the candidate o-ring seemed to do the job well actually.

sigh! got back to the LGT this morning and pull the LV :(

26842434312_f5c04b86d1_z.jpg

on a good note... i've already started building the smoke tester and hopefully be able to use it tonight after work.

the only good news about this LV is that my IAM is still at 1! 5 counts of knock is so bad at that low RPM :( i sure hope it's the tune and all the leaks i'm finding contributing.

-7.00 is a lot, although it is at low load, so it should not hurt the engine. How is your fuel pump? Do you know if it is working as it should?

i hear it and have it run it's full cycle before starting. this may all be related to the tune being shit or dealing with vacuum leaks.

i haven't pressure tested it at all nor have i verified that fuel is shooting out of the line coming from the pump at start up.

Any way other than that to test it?

Here's a new one I just found [emoji58]

It's on the intercooler. It's almost like this is a defective piece since both the stock BPV and aftermarket BOV don't seal it with or without a gasket

Image1462943239.415118.jpg.b3b87d081197a3d9f0d3f0824fc167b5.jpg

Notice the raised area of the threaded area closest to me?

The other side isn't like that but flat and the opposite way.

Image1462943280.848826.jpg.39eb6f5c710440d97c3243154c8dc46f.jpg

Here is the BPV being pushed down and there still is a space between it and the intercooler caused by that raised area.

I also found out that the GFB BOV I had on there has a recessed area on that mounted area it. It seals whereas the stock BPV doesn't. Ugh. This intercooler needs to get changed

EDIT: so apparently my email wasn't working on my phone today for some reason and when i got home. my phone downloaded 170 emails!!! one of those emails was an updated map from the tuner adding 15% fuel across the board.. Updated the AP3 with the current firmware and uploaded the map and flashed the ECU with the corrected map. Did a 6 mile drive after warming the car up to normal operating temp. Watched the ECU add fuel until 10.6% then start dropping it off to about 9.5%. I had my GF pull the LV every so often and I watched the ECU adjust the fueling. After two 3rd gear pulls going from about 2500-5500RPM I usually see +15% in at least A-C and possibly D as well. This time I got a lot different results :)

I'm still going to smoke the system tomorrow after work but this is looking promising!!!

26879406831_4ae414e8fe_z.jpg

You're getting somewhere! Did the tuner make any comments?

tuner sent me another map this morning :)

after uploading and idling for 10 minutes to get it to normal operating temperature and RPM I had a max of 2.2% correction at idle and then dropping down to 1.5~1.7% :)

26355426954_44e23109f6_z.jpg

i'm gonna see how it goes on my end of day commute home. then gonna smoke it!

Looking good :). But still, what did your tuner say though?

Honestly the tuner know I know my shit so he really didn't comment much. I told him I'll be searching for leaks on the first email. His response to the LV was see if there is vacuum leaks and if you're sure everything's good then he can make some changes.

I did send him an updated LV after loading the updated original map. The second one he said this should help some. Cars running pretty good. I did a few WOT passes when I could and feels pretty solid. Didn't log anything though.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Just got home. Pulled the LV again. Only C has a high correction amount. It's under 8% though. I'll upload it in a bit.

26931109236_247ebd7335_z.jpg

No problem. Then keep an eye on the trims. Do your smoke test. If there's really no leak, then keep fine tuning the tune and I think that should be it.

Yeah I check it daily several times a day. LOL

so I tested the smoker early evening and I think I made my paper wad too big causing it to burn too hot and melt/caramelize my hose [emoji23] causing the hose to collapse and eventually pop the top of the can right after this video.

I think my compressor flows too too much air due to my pneumatic tool requirements and I've set it as low as possible [emoji23]

https://vimeo.com/166408917

How is your oil level consumption?

About 1/2-1qt between oil changed but sometimes I go extended periods without changing due to time. Lol

It's over due for a change really since the last time was in feb around 3 months (and now closer to about 5k miles) so I added as necessary this time is about 1 qt.

Prior to doing my clutch recently I noticed the rear main leaking so I changed that too. Valve cover gaskets need changing which will be done shortly.

It's over due for a change really since the last time was in feb around 3 months (and now closer to about 5k miles) so I added as necessary this time is about 1 qt.

So you were down a quart? That's a lot actually. That means you barely saw any oil on your dip stick then cause the low to full marks are about a quart.

In any case, that's not excessive oil consumption I'd say. what type/brand of oil are you using?

So you were down a quart? That's a lot actually. That means you barely saw any oil on your dip stick then cause the low to full marks are about a quart.

In any case, that's not excessive oil consumption I'd say. what type/brand of oil are you using?

no. not down a quart today. i filled about 2-3 weeks ago 1 quart since it was just under 1/2 way up the dip stick when I checked. This was more than 3k miles on it. I believe the last oil that was used was mobil1. I use Amsoil in my STI though. LOL

Having a used car sucks since you're fighting all these issues from the previous owner. {-_-}"

I honestly don't think the car burns that much oil between oil changes (3k or 3 months whatever comes first). it's due to the additional mileage beyond the 3k mark that we are burning more than 1/2 qt of oil. I use 10w30 in it usually.

Definitely due for an oil change.

I see. Then I think it is not bad at all.

Lots of people on this forum are against the use of Mobil 1. A lot (including me) use Rotella T6 5w40.

I am just hoping that super low load knock in your LV is just noise and not some kind of rod knock or something that the engine is hearing. Don't want to scare you though..

Archived