LegacyGT.com

Melted Spark Plug, what happened? - HQ Pics

The valve head probably broke off because there is valve to piston interference when the valve timing was off, because the timing belt broke. The head and the piston are shot, probably also the cylinder walls. :(

-HMK

The original timing belt didn't break and was in good shape when I took it off. It was out of time though, or I believe it was. I couldn't rotate the engine all the way around, it would bind up.

I keep thinking that I could throw some plugs in it and re time it and see what happens, but I know it would be a HUGE waste of time. Whatever destroyed the spark plug had to of done damage to other parts, theres no way that it didn't.

Once I get it out I'll check out the 2.5 and see what happened.

it's too bad there isn't a test you could do before you pull it , just to be sure. you know, like a COMPRESSION TEST.

was the engine toast?

No, someone forgot to tighten the plug, the coil kept it in the hole but it unthreaded itself. The combustion melted the plug and coil. We heli-coil'd the hole, put a plug and coil in and sent it on its way.

The original timing belt didn't break and was in good shape when I took it off. It was out of time though, or I believe it was. I couldn't rotate the engine all the way around, it would bind up.

I keep thinking that I could throw some plugs in it and re time it and see what happens, but I know it would be a HUGE waste of time. Whatever destroyed the spark plug had to of done damage to other parts, theres no way that it didn't.

If the timing belt was off time, there would still be valve-piston interference, causing the valve head to break off.

I have had this happen before. When the head of the valve breaks off it destroys the cylinder wall,the head [combustion chamber] and the piston. The piston will have a hole in it and the metal will go through the whole botom end.

-HMK

it's too bad there isn't a test you could do before you pull it , just to be sure. you know, like a COMPRESSION TEST.

LOL, Why bother? I know the thing is going to have bent valves anyway.. I went into this project expecting problems. My plan was to get a new timing belt on and get it started and see what was going on. I always assumed I would need new heads or an engine. I don't have a compression tester anymore and I don't really need one now. This thing has problems regardless of the compression test. I'll just cut out all the bs and replace the engine. I'll have to any way.

If the timing belt was off time, there would still be valve-piston interference, causing the valve head to break off.

I have had this happen before. When the head of the valve breaks off it destroys the cylinder wall,the head [combustion chamber] and the piston. The piston will have a hole in it and the metal will go through the whole botom end.

-HMK

yes, this is exactly the scenario I was talking about in my post, that is what a plug looks like after it has been pummeled by the head of a valve rattling around the combustion chamber. it is not 100% certain, but that was my first thought as well.

i cant beleive the dropped valve was not the first guess. just a few weeks ago someone posted the pics of the top on a cylinder and the head to go with it after a valve dropped. the whole piston face and head looked just like this spark plug. the entire half of that motor is toast.(entire block to cause you cant mix block halves

i cant beleive the dropped valve was not the first guess. just a few weeks ago someone posted the pics of the top on a cylinder and the head to go with it after a valve dropped. the whole piston face and head looked just like this spark plug. the entire half of that motor is toast.(entire block to cause you cant mix block halves

That's what happened with this one. The head of the valve broke off.

Archived