LegacyGT.com

Race fuel

sleakwrx

Now that spring is here its track time. I have 110 octane available to me. Will a good tune and that fuel give me any more power. What are the typical gains and what would my limiting component be.

And since I get it for a very "low" price we won't go into details about that would it be safe to get a good tune and just keep running it daily. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry should have mentioned that stuff. My mods are:

2008 wrx

Vf46

FMS tmic

FMS cbe

Perrin hfc dp

Aem cai

Gms turbo inlet

Stage 2 tune from torqued performance

I just wanted to pick the lgt collective brain. I know with higher octane that early detonation is minimized so you can advance timing and such but is there really that much power to be had. Thanks for looking

yep I will definitely ask my tuner but wanted to grasp the general idea. Putnam park in 2 weeks and there seem to be no decent (tier 1 ) gas station around so I was thinking fill up with whatever shit they have there and add 1-2 gallons of GTX for safety

Race gas without a tune is just a little insurance in the form of knock resistance. Might be a good idea since you will be heatsoaking more at the track.

If you get tuned for it - you will probably get 15 WHP tops (probably not worth it)

Race gas without a tune is just a little insurance in the form of knock resistance. Might be a good idea since you will be heatsoaking more at the track.

If you get tuned for it - you will probably get 15 WHP tops (probably not worth it)

absolutely agree on both points. If I ever get tuned for alternative fuel it will be E85. I couldn't care less for minor HP increase. Just want the engine to run knock free so I will either add little race fuel or octane booster. The later one will only increase octane rating by 2 if that but that's all it's needed.

By the way, anyone heard anything on E15 that they were suppose to introduce?

Just want the engine to run knock free so I will either add little race fuel or octane booster. The later one will only increase octane rating by 2 if that but that's all it's needed.

QUOTE]

I ran 110 on a stock tune with stock parts. After 4 hours of track time and 2 tankfuls, the car ran really well.

If you get tuned for it, make sure you are running the full octane numbers. If you set for 110 and then run blended you'll get knock and just be wasting your money.

If you are going to be mixing, print this chart out and stick it on the gas cap flap: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/Octanemix.html

I pump in the higher octane first, then add the low octane. Under the belief that it mixes better.

On an empty tank, I put in 4 gallons of race gas, then fill it up with 92. I dont have knock at 92, so running higher octane for insurance. At the track, I do it because I'm too lazy to drive 20 minutes down the road for cheap gas.

e85 ftw, ran it on my wrx gained quite a bit of torque and alot of spool with a good tune so in theory yes with a good tune you will see some noticible increases i dont know if i would mix octanes if you are on an OTS map though as the map notes like for cobb are very very specific and have warnings against not following the requirements list, but as far as gains on e85 on my 02 wrx (set up very well) from 93 to full e85 we saw roughly 20whp increase and almost 40wtq it was very significant but i guess it all just depends on how good your tuner is i was on the stock td04 for my wrx and saw full boost (21 psi) by 2500 rpm no joke but we spent a long time perfecting that tune

You can't just go get e85 and a tune though right? I mean you need a better fuel pump and injectors first if I've researched correctly. Help me out here I'm talking 50 cents difference in price and for a mpg or 2 I'll pay that difference.

You can't just go get e85 and a tune though right? I mean you need a better fuel pump and injectors first if I've researched correctly. Help me out here I'm talking 50 cents difference in price and for a mpg or 2 I'll pay that difference.

yea youll need both injectors and a fp i ran bosch id 1000's on my wrx (total overkill) planned on bigger turbo but never did it once on e85 too much fun lol but i had a walboro 255lph fp as well i would imagine 750's would be enough as a rough guess

Archived