LegacyGT.com

Annoying torque converter question

So I have googled it a bunch and talked to a few different people. Im just triple checking..

I put my auto transmission back in. (torque converter was empty with atf, didn't know it mattered). Started it and it wouldn't move in any gear. So I took it apart and put fluid in the TC, but quite a bit came out while installing, up to half a quart, but can't honestly say. My question is, will the loss of the atf out of the TC make it not work?

if your oil pump (trans ATF) is working correctly it will not matter. the pump will fill the torque converter. but you will want ot cjheck the fluid level and add the correct amount.

but if the torque converter was not seated correctly when the trans was installed, first or second? time, you will damage the oil pump. at that point you will need a new trans.

what is the history on this trans? why was it removed?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-2-2-headgaskets-now-hard-turning-over-wont-really-157685.html?t=157685&highlight=%27%27torqueconverter%27%27

I took the auto out to put a manual in. So it worked when I took it out.

I put the torque converter onto the shaft #12, then wiggled it around till it slid back. Once it is back I spun it in tiny increments while pulling forward and then pushing back again trying to get the oil pump shaft (that has the clip/#7), to meet with the part in the back of that transmission(maybe the oil pump). The TC gear for the starter is then flush with the transmission. In your link it says it should go even further, but if it did the flexplate wouldn't be flush to the TC. On top of not being flush, I never saw any obstacle that the TC/Shaft would have to overcome to be fully seated. So im pretty sure it was seated correctly. Thanks for your help.

You also said a messed up install would cause the car not to move, but I think it didn't move because of having zero fluid in it and not an improper install.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8088/20101203050455image001.jpg

I figured it out. I almost feel stupid, but if it wouldn't have happened the way it did my diff would have blown up. I had the tranny upside down for about a year. The dipsticks and fluids completely drained. I didn't think twice about what I was filling up with tranny fluid. It was the diff. :). So I drained it and ran a bunch of 80/90 through it then added 1.5qts. Then filled the right tube up and it works :) It has random problems. But it moves. Thanks!

So am curious.... I'm swapping in a used tranny. Roughly 107k miles, should I pop the torque converter off and replace any seals at all or anything before installing her? Kind of want to get all the things I need to do before bolting her up in.

Archived