LegacyGT.com

A few questions for current owners

Guys, I'm considering a new job position that would come with a decent sign on bonus (to go with an increased commute). So you know which car I plan to buy with that bonus.

A few questions first:

1. I've read a few threads on trailer hitches, but what is the bottom line - is there an OEM hitch the dealer will install? Is it any good? Looks? Or am I better off going aftermarket? Which one?

2. I use my car to tow my standup jet ski to the beach every weekend. My current Maxima has rust in the door sills from salt water dripping off my shoes as I get in. (Especially if a T-storm pops up suddenly). Does someone make a door sill protector? Does it look decent?

3. How about floormats? I need something to protect the car from salt water & sand, something that will look good & not be so thick as to interfere with the pedals (5MT).

4. Do the stock tires work poorly in the rain?

TIA!

Only help I can give....

3. OEM Subaru "All-Weather" mats. :)

4. For me, personally at least, they're all-right. They cut through water just fine going straight, even in torrential rains at highway speeds. However, let me put this in perspective by saying that I have *_not_* driven in a truly aggressive manner in the wet.

Cut a corner in a spirited manner in the wet, though, you'd better be careful....... 4-wheel drifts can rather easily be accomplished.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Guest *Jedimaster*
The Legacy comes with Subaru door sill protectors, but you can get slightly blingy, but more expensive STi ones.

Only help I can give....

3. OEM Subaru "All-Weather" mats. :)

4. For me, personally at least, they're all-right. They cut through water just fine going straight, even in torrential rains at highway speeds. However, let me put this in perspective by saying that I have *_not_* driven in a truly aggressive manner in the wet.

Cut a corner in a spirited manner in the wet, though, you'd better be careful....... 4-wheel drifts can rather easily be accomplished.

-A

+1

The RE92's should be fine unless you plan to race the car on a semi-regular basis. I've had no issues with traction in rain or snow...

The Legacy comes with Subaru door sill protectors, but you can get slightly blingy, but more expensive STi ones.

Do they cover the entire painted area? The Maxima is rusting at the edge of the stock plastic covers, where vibration & impact have caused the paint to wear through. That's what I want to avoid.

Does anyone have pictures of the stock or STI units installed?

If I hadn't read so many threads where people complain about the stock tires then I wouldn't have ever known there was anything wrong with them. They have worked fine for me with the way that I drive. I'm not driving it like I stole it when its raining or snowing, so I haven't noticed any problems with traction or anything like that. I'm sure you can upgrade the tires if you want to, but you might want to make that decision before they deliver the car to you. It could be possible to work that into the deal when you buy the car.

The sil covers just cover a small part of the sil. I don't know what you are expecting it to cover. The STi ones don't cover any more or less. They just say STi on them instead of Subaru. They look like this...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/163-6315_IMG.jpg

If you are looking for something that covers more then you are going to have to custom make something yourself.

Everything else you asked has been answered the same way I would except for the trailer hitch thing. Personally I wouldn't ever pull a trailer with a car. That is what trucks are for. Even if I was considering a wagon I wouldn't put a trailer hitch on it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanks for the picture OCDetails. Worth many words.

As to the trailer, with Ski it's only about 450 pounds. The Maxima pulls it with no problems at highway speeds.

Yes, a big thirsty 4WD truck would be nice as a tow vehicle, but there's only enough money for 1 vehicle. That's the beauty of the Legacy - comfortable 4 door family car, very capable sports car, AWD jet ski tow vehicle all in one!

I've never gotten to ask this of a fellow Scooby driver, much less an LGT driver. :)

-How are the PZero Nero M+Ss in snow? Slush?

-Rate against other M+S tires?

Thanks! :)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

The Nero M+S is fine in the snow and slush. I have nothing to compare to since I got rid of the RE92 before winter. I am not scared to go out in any amount of snow with these. Still, they will be not be as good as a dedicated snow tire, but are fine for the few storms we get a season.

mmm def -

Thanks for your input! :)

Further/follow-up question - are you running stock width on the rubber?

-A

Archived