LegacyGT.com

lots of electrical problems. I HATE WIRES:(

Ok... I'm confused..and the dealership is confused. My car has been having electrical issue. When I'm driving. The brand new alternator(which tests good) isn't charging my battery and my car is dying while driving. Battery is newer but were replacing it today anyway. And this morning the dealership called me and told me that they had it running, turned the key to off position, removed the key and the car was still running. (I just installed a new ignition key cylinder). When doing an "in car" alternator test we hook up the test unit to the battery and begin test. Battery test low charge and you can't even get a reading from alternator. But all the wires look hooked up and good. I'm clueless. Somebody PLEASE help me out.

• I Donated

For your charging issues, check your fusible links.

As well, check the battery light in the gauge cluster. If that light is burned out or removed, your alternator won't charge. Believe it or not, that bulb completes the charging circuit.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

Yeah. Kind of weird I know.

I had that bulb blow out in an old truck of mine and it took me forever to figure out the charging problem. After that, I thought it was just something with older vehicles (pre 1990)...but nope....a lot of cars are still wired that way....including ours. I figured out ours were like that when I tried to drive to work with my gauge cluster removed (didn't finish what I was working on in time for work) and my car died on the way to work lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Actually we figured it out. I hadn't been doing a whole lot under the hood.oft car until today since.I'm still kind of.a noob so cut me some slack.. but the guy who owned it before me wired up the driver side willing fan directly to the battery. Some how that was pulling some of my charge without actually spinning and draining my battery, so.we replaced that wiring. Ignition issue was due to.the fact that the battery wasn't grounded to.the starter. So we did that. And replaced the battery. So now she runs great

Archived