LegacyGT.com

Looking for some info/advice

sti_044

Hey guys, I am looking into buying a newer Subie. I have owned 5 first gen legacies so I'm not new to the Subaru game, but the newest car I've ever had was a 93.

I REALLY have my mind set on an 07 Spec B. but I am hearing some horrible things that are going on with them. I have read that the turbos usually blow up causing engine failure, electrical problems, something about an oil tube breaking. I just want to know what I sshould be looking for when going to look at one ESPECIALLY considering I will have to travel to find one. I can't afford to buy a nice car and have the motor blow up or anything like that, so my questions are:

What should I look out for on a car when I'm looking at it?

What can I do to prevent these things from happening of they haven't happened yet?

Any info/help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Matt

Where would you recommend taking it to get inspected? A dealership or any mechanic? Keep in mind there is a high chance I will be out of town so I will not be familiar with which mechanics and such are credible.

well I realize that I need to keep up on maintenance as far as fluids/belts, plugs, brakes, etc. But what are things to look for specifically on these cars? Such as the turbo problem I mentioned and such....

wow thank you. I just read that whole thing and that was very informative. That makes me much more comforted. So as long as I get a bigger oil feed line, change oil 3k miles (to be safe, and thats my routine anyways), and make sure that the banjo fitting filter is clean then I should be fine from what I understand. Does that sound about right?

The next task is finding one with decently low miles and not modded or showing signs of abuse :S

Hey guys, I am looking into buying a newer Subie. I have owned 5 first gen legacies so I'm not new to the Subaru game, but the newest car I've ever had was a 93.

I REALLY have my mind set on an 07 Spec B. but I am hearing some horrible things that are going on with them. I have read that the turbos usually blow up causing engine failure, electrical problems, something about an oil tube breaking. I just want to know what I sshould be looking for when going to look at one ESPECIALLY considering I will have to travel to find one. I can't afford to buy a nice car and have the motor blow up or anything like that, so my questions are:

What should I look out for on a car when I'm looking at it?

What can I do to prevent these things from happening of they haven't happened yet?

Any info/help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Matt

They are not as bad as you have been hearing. You have heard horror stories from other model years and are mixing them up to an extent.

Turbo - This can fail on any turbo car. It seems more prevalent in the 05/06 models with the VF40 turbos. Knock on wood, the VF46 turbos they put in the 07-09 seem to be a bit more reliable. If you are to buy the car. I would pull the banjo bolt filter and make sure it's not plugged. There was a TSB to do this. Also ensure the car is up on it's oil changes. Keep your OCI at 3000-3500 miles and you will be fine. If the car has had a replacement turbo put on it already, WALK AWAY!

As for the oil tube breaking, I'm not sure which one you mean... In 05/06 there was a problem with the oil pickup tube breaking in a very small amount of cars. I believe that problem was solved in 07 as well. If you are talking about the turbo supply line, there was a recall and a support brace was installed as part of that. Make sure that has been performed and you will be fine.

As for the electrical problems... I've not heard of any?

Thanks for the info. I definitely plan on changing oil every 3000 miles. I'm not quite ready to get one or I would consider the white one, but I really like the 07. Why walk away if it has already had its turbo replaced?

Long story short, if the person replacing the turbo does not know what they are doing or if the car was driven a long way after the turbo let go, chances are the engine will soon be toast.

When turbo failures happen, the owner typically gets disgusted with the car and trades it or sells it. A factory turbo is about $1300 from the dealer plus install costs. For that much money for some, it's better to cut their losses and buy a new car. The dealer will then trade it in cheap, replace the turbo and put the car up for sale. HOWEVER - when the turbo fails on these cars, it typically send LOTS of pieces into the oil system. This can plug lines or start to float around in rod bearings, etc. If not purged correctly, you will soon have another junk turbo and a junk engine from all the crap floating around. If caught soon enough after the turbo lets go, you can save the engine easily by doing a couple of engine flushes and ensuring all the oil lines are purged of debris. There are a couple of people on the board here that have done it. However, for the normal person and even the dealer, they have not seen the quantity of failures that we have seen from all over the country/world on this board and how to do a "proper" replacement. I'm not saying these things fail all the time, but there have been enough members on here that have been through it and shared what has worked and what has not worked.

Archived