LegacyGT.com

Newbie with troubles :(

LegacyLove88

Alright, so a few days ago I got an AP and I flashed the Cobb Stage 1 93 map on there. Well I haven't been able to really log because I don't really know a good place to yet. Anyway, today I decided to do a pseudo-log while getting on to the highway. I asked the gf to start logging when I was getting on, once again just to get an overview of what was going on. I get home, and I'm seeing knock sums, fine knock learns, and feedback knocks all over the damn place. I typically just prefer to lurk and not ask for help when it comes to tuning, but this has me worried!

About the car: It's an 05 Legacy GT AT. The last owner had the engine replaced and got a turbo as a "good gesture" from the dealership about 35k miles ago. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

datalog4.csv

My heart's broken by this news, Seabass! Does it matter that it mainly knocked when decelerating? And rod knock isn't the same as the knock we're talking about here right? Would there be any way to determine if there was piston slap or rod knock other than trying to hear it? I'm just so damn paranoid ha..

Thanks again for patiently helping though. I'm sure hearing the same questions can be annoying :(

to answer your latest questions:

1) It could matter, yes, but that's not what your log is showing. Your log shows you under throttle of about 90% and knocking HARD.

2) You're thinking of a different kind of knock. This knock is also known as detonation or pinging and results from fuel being ignited at the wrong time during the combustion cycle. It can cause bad engine damage if not address properly.

Pull the LV so we can see how your fuel trims look and what the knock table looks like too. How many miles have you driven since putting on the AP, and what type of driving is it? When was the last time you gassed up?

• Mega Users

The ones that you need to be concerned about in that log are the ones in the 4-5k rpm range and at 2+ load.

It is NOTHING like rod knock. It is detonation. Nothing to be heartbroken over. Try a 91octane tune and see what happens with the logs. Or go back to the stock tune and log.

Alright, waiting for the accesstuner race software to be sent to be from Cobb. I got the AP this past Friday and installed it on Saturday so about 3 days. I filled up around the start of the week or so? I have a quarter tank of Shell 93 octane gas left. Miles driven I'd guess about 30-50. It's been a mix of driving. I've probably opened it up about 5 times in that stretch. Never going to redline or anything, just getting on the highway.

Email blocked accesstuner race ftl. I did some other logs today, no WOT pulls though. Knocks at low rpms/not much load aren't an issue right? I was cruising down my road at a steady 40 mph and in the 2,000 rpm range or so and I saw some knock. Nothing to worry about there? Also, I think I have a bad engine mount. Would the physical movement, even if rather miniscule, ever be read by the knock sensor as a knock?

Bleh, I guess I'll do another pull tomorrow maybe with 91 stg 1 map loaded instead.

• Mega Users

A physical bang from a bad mount can definitely trigger the knock sensor. I chased my tail for a week trying to eliminate what I thought was tip in knock from a bad mount.

The consensus seems to be to ignore knock below 2k rpm and less than ~1.0 load. Noise seems to trigger the sensor at idle a lot as well.

Definitely give the 91 map a try. If it is still knocking a lot, then there may be another problem.

Got a laptop?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3031807&postcount=9

Pull the equivalent of a LearningView and post it here.

I'm pretty sure he has an AP v2, so Learning View won't work. However I think Cobb's tuning software will show the contents of the learned knock correction table.

I sure do, let me get that for you. I'm currently setting the parameters for my next pull on there so there isn't a giant mess.

Just remove these:

AF Learning (you can log this separately if you care about it)

Dynamic advance (but keep Dynamic Advance Multiplier (DAM))

MAF Volts (keep MAF grams-per-second)

TD Error (it's useful if you're tuning boost, but you're not)

Wastegate Duty % (also only useful when you're tuning boost)

That will speed it up a bit.

And I agree that you've got more knock than is healthy. The lower-octane tune will probably help.

I'm pretty sure he has an AP v2, so Learning View won't work. However I think Cobb's tuning software will show the contents of the learned knock correction table.
I know, that's why I linked him to how to get him the equivalent of an LV. ;)

Boom! Stalled on the way to class today. (Automatic) Engine wasn't warmed up yet and it happened. Was running the 93 map for that one. I take this as a bad sign! What happens if you're knocking throughout all RPMs and loads by the way? I see most datalogs are running at usually high loads so why do tuners typically only tune at these levels?

Definitely sticking with the 91 map. Just waiting to get my accesstuner stuff and I'll get the LV equivalent for you guys

With knock that bad you should feel the engine fall flat on its face as it retards timing to keep from blowing to bits. Did you feel that? Why do you keep running the 93 map when everyone has said run the 91 and see what happens. If you somehow got a bad tank of 93 then it could cause what your seeing. Always fill up at reputable stations. You may pay more, but you get what you pay for. lol

Before you switch maps to the 91, pull the equivalent of a LV. Otherwise, your ECU will reset and we won't know what your fuel trims look like for a long time (have to wait for car to relearn them)

While you're waiting to get that to us, do NOT drive your car hard.

And what were the circumstances where it stalled? Was it while stopping/slowing or something? If so, you may have a vacuum leak.

But we need to see what your fuel trims are.

I've been keeping out of boost these past few days. As for still running the 93 map, exactly what iNVAR said. I should be getting accesstuner any time today. I ran a 91 map as realtime for about 15 mins if that. Not sure if that would have an effect or not on the fuel trim memory.

As for the circumstances of the stall: I was driving to class (which is about a 6 minute drive, mostly downhill on idle). I maintain 40mph with about 8% throttle. Came to a stop sign, accelerated back up to 30 or so slowly. Another stop sign. Accelerated up to about 20mph. Slowed down to stop at a light, idled for about 10 seconds?, stalled on acceleration.

My plan for today when I get home is: 1.) Pull the LV as soon as I get tuner race. 2. Check my MAF and possibly clean it. 3.) Wait for analysis on change tune as needed.

Sound like a good idea?

Alright so I think I pull up the Fine Knock Learning. It's the only table that really resembled the LV that I looked through. 0.00s all around is good I thought? I'll let you guys check it out. If you need anything else pulled up let me know.

Untitled.thumb.png.8e8cb83b63c130f9a55570cca130a6cd.png

sorry, been busy. let's see...

your fuel trims aren't off by that much, but the idle one is a bit high. it's adding fuel. your C trim isn't horrible either, it's at 4.5, and D is 1.8

you may have a small leak somewhere. look into it. the knock table is empty though, so that's good, but strange because your first log that you posted shows FLKC...

if you reset the ECU or reflashed a map or something, the tables might've been reset. OR the ECU unlearned the knock.

Wooo you guys responded! Awesome. I've been doing a lot of reading lately, so since then I've learned a bit (or so I hope). Those screenshots (LV + fuel trims) were taken about a day after using the 91 octane map as a real-time change. However, I have better fuel trim and LV screenshots.

Since I last posted, I have cleaned the MAF sensor, filled up my gas tank (which was almost completely empty) with 93, and cleaned off my battery terminals and clamps which I know are useless in this process. Anyway, I reset the ECU and let it idle for about 10 minutes, then took it for a 20 minute drive or so. I only got into boost range once. Took a LV and A/F learning screenshot after the drive just to see how everything was looking. Those are the first two attachments I believe.

Drove a bit more today and I hope/think my numbers are stabilizing a bit further. These can be found as the next two attachments. I plan on driving a little bit more and then pulling up one last LV and fuel trims. If those check out, I'll do a solid 3rd gear pull again and look for some knock.

So in closing, how does everything look thus far?

reset.thumb.png.bc1fa9931d823cb79a830107860cf4b8.png

reset1.thumb.png.6bfe81065cc5f14a08ff98d80a580baf.png

reset3.thumb.png.89942d2ae0d6d415516b539bb1be0112.png

reset4.thumb.png.3b66564301d37c28d4e894f45f7bafea.png

Archived