LegacyGT.com

IndyCar thread

cartman

• 3 weeks later...

I like the cars better than last years cars but they do look a bit like concession karts. I look forward to the different aero body kits next year produced by different manufacturers.

We'll see about the racing. At least it's not all on Versus this year, where no one can watch it. I truly hope it's not pack racing again on the oval. CART in the 90s was truly awesome racing. IRL has sucked balls since its inception. The cars stink. The drivers stink. I hope something good finally happens this year.

Oval racing is in a way an event where you wait for a crash to happen and then the lucky few that cleared the crash fight it out for the win. Road courses are better since they require more flexibility and crashes are less likely to take out "innocents".
453747.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Belle Isle Detroit race is stopped becz huge chunks of race pavement are coming up and hitting cars and drivers in the head. And IndyCar is trying to restart the race so we can see drivers die with pavement coming through their visors.

No wonder Indy Car is in the shits. The fucktards think dead drivers makes great ratings. ****. Even NASCAR isn't this stupid.

Belle Isle Detroit race is stopped becz huge chunks of race pavement are coming up and hitting cars and drivers in the head. And IndyCar is trying to restart the race so we can see drivers die with pavement coming through their visors.

No wonder Indy Car is in the shits. The fucktards think dead drivers makes great ratings. ****. Even NASCAR isn't this stupid.

We have already seen what flying things can do to a driver after what happened to Massa. We don't need stuff like that.

Indy Car is going down the drain and F1 is starting to look like what Indy Car used to be with all the regulations. :spin:

On the other hand - the F1 season is still interesting.

453747.png

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Can't wait for the season to begin. I am curious to see how well the second race is received at Indianapolis Motor Speedway (the road course circuit).

Current Mileage as of 19-June-15: 15012

Purchase Date: 30-June-12

Visit my profile page (visitor message section) for a brief mod. list.

Me too. Racing was great last year, except for Dario's accident.

Also looking to see if Montoya can contend for wins in a top car. Always been a fan of his but scratched my head when he went to nascar.

After his stint with F1, maybe he wanted something different or there were no rides open. It'll be interesting at his age to see if he can transition back. I'd really like to see some of the american's do better (Marco and Graham). I think in May I'll attend both Indianapolis races this year...no final exams to worry about for the first time in a long time! Woot!

I was a huge indy car and champ car fan, but I can hardly stand to watch the races nowadays. The races can't go more than 10 laps without a safety car, and then the full course yellow lasts interminably long. They have taken safety too far. I used to be a corner worker for the Meadowlands Grand Prix in the 80s so I know the risk of being a track worker. Indycar wants zero risk nowadays and it is just ridiculous.

Not that I'm bitter.

I like Graham Rahal. I would like to see that arrogant little snot Marco find a drive with another team so someone deserving could have his seat. The only reason he's on that team is his daddy. The boy has shown marginal talent at best. Graham hasn't been that much better but he at least hasn't relied on daddy for his entire Indy career.

Marco did a lot better this year. But it might do him a little good to go under the wings of another team for a while to gain more maturity. However, it is debatable how much it helped Graham. It is sometimes hard to tell depending on team budget and sponsorship, although the divide is no where near that of F1, which makes those events very boring.

Since we are on a graham and Marco topic:

Graham is younger but I think he has more overall talent. Marco has had Indy, a1gp, and a few more years of experience but has not shown consistent results. I agree Marco seems to be getting better each year.

A general question is when can we expect to see true title contenders...in their 30s?

Also, are they a product of an inferior ladder system when compared to f1's?

Or are fans too obsessed with their surnames and have set the bar too high?

I do not have any real comments on this. Is there an inferior ladder system, probably. The indy lights only race a few races per year, but by the same token the series can pull drivers where ever they can get them. Sponsorship plays a role in this too, you'd want to hire a driver than can pull in corporate money. I think that is part of the reason Andretti Autosport kept Danica around for so long. She could bring in cash even though she was a middle of the pack driver. But you're probably right, Marco and Graham may just need more maturity, they are in the mid-twenties if I recall. A few more years and we may see them on the podium.

• 4 months later...
Watched the 500 and the first Detroit race yesterday. I can't usually since I don't have cable/satellite. This second race is already the typical clownfest that I remember from when I used to be able to watch the series. Every few laps a yellow due to stupid drivers and then 5 laps of yellow flags. Ridiculous. These drivers generally suck on road courses.

• 3 years later...

I was a corner worker at a few Champ Car races in the 80s. They used to use local yellows even on street courses. If there was an incident in one turn and drivers were unsighted, you threw a yellow for one or two corners before the corner with the incident.

Hell, now if there's an incident on a 4 mile course like Road America, they throw a full course caution. Now the safety Nazis poisoned F1 (years ago) with the overuse of full course cautions, but F1 still uses local yellows.

I wouldn't object to the full course yellows if they just managed to get back to racing quicker. I understand it when big crashes happen but now its full course if a recovery vehicle gets within 50 ft of the track.

I was a corner worker at a few Champ Car races in the 80s. They used to use local yellows even on street courses. If there was an incident in one turn and drivers were unsighted, you threw a yellow for one or two corners before the corner with the incident.

Hell, now if there's an incident on a 4 mile course like Road America, they throw a full course caution. Now the safety Nazis poisoned F1 (years ago) with the overuse of full course cautions, but F1 still uses local yellows.

I wouldn't object to the full course yellows if they just managed to get back to racing quicker. I understand it when big crashes happen but now its full course if a recovery vehicle gets within 50 ft of the track.

What's it take besides an SCCA membership to get into working big races? I'd be interested in volunteering sometime.

• 3 weeks later...
The IndyCar St Pete event is streaming the Mazda Pro, Indy Light races and now the knock off qualifying on youtube. Just watched the Lights race. I wish the IndyCars looked as good as those cars, but at least they are better looking without the ridiculous aero packages that they had the previous few years. I do wish the nose looked more like the cars did in the 90s, like the Reynards of the mid-90s. Those cars were beautiful and fearsome looking. Edited by KartRacerBoy