LegacyGT.com

how to mesure the oil level

IMO you need to let the engine sit cold for a long time. I normally check my oil after the engine has been off for hours, the longer the better.

This gives the oil time to drain back into the oil pan. If you check it after the engine is just shut off, you may still have some oil up in the heads or other places.

For the guy that measures his oil when he drains it, it's too late the damage is already done.

You need to keep these engine full of oil. Never let it get low...or below full.

Oil usage is not consistenant in these engines. Sometimes you can go 1500 miles and have no usage, the next week you can go 500 miles and be down some on oil level.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO you need to let the engine sit cold for a long time. I normally check my oil after the engine has been off for hours, the longer the better.

This gives the oil time to drain back into the oil pan. If you check it after the engine is just shut off, you may still have some oil up in the heads or other places.

Yeah, which would mean the dipstick would read low (if you checked without waiting so long), which means you'd end up "overfilling" per se.... which IMHO is better. I'd rather have there be a little extra oil in the pan than too little.

In the end it probably doesn't matter. It really depends on how the dipstick is calibrated.

Oil usage is not consistenant in these engines. Sometimes you can go 1500 miles and have no usage, the next week you can go 500 miles and be down some on oil level.
HAH, ain't that the truth....

You've been here long enough, I'm should you know that I keep both mine a little over full rather than under full.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived