LegacyGT.com

Options for aftermarket Bluetooth for streaming media and phone link

• I Donated
No worries. I may have found the answer in this thread, '08 Outback radio installed in my '05 Legacy:

I'll hit up SVXdc now. I thought I read that for the OE subwoofer to work, you had to solder an amp wire to the harness for '08+ replacement head units. I'm talking out of my @ss since it's my father's car... it does have a sub, right?

If it has a sub, it's an underseat one that's self-amped and uses a pass-through harness. It will work the same with either headunit. However, the sub is a dealer-installed accessory, and chances are the car doesn't have it.

Sorry, haven't had a chance to take out the unit and check the part number. But, the SVXdc adapter is totally plug-and play. The one I'm talking about is not listed on his website. It has an i85 (or i88?) connector on one end, and a 3.5mm minijack female connector on the other end (you plug the aux-in cable into that). The i85/i88 is pass-through, so you plug the original connector that attaches to the back of the headunit into the harness, and then plug the harness into the headunit. The only other thing you have to do is loosen a screw on the side of the headunit and sandwich a spade connector coming off the harness underneath it to ground the aux-enable wire.

What do you think of the sound on this setup? I'm in desperate need of an aux-in solution.

• I Donated
What do you think of the sound on this setup? I'm in desperate need of an aux-in solution.

About as good as it can be. It was as good as the OEM implementation of aux-in is on my Spec.B. Which is to say, about as good as playing an MP3 CD using the headunit (standard MP3 clipping, but no other penalties versus CD-quality).

Let's put it this way: there are three aux-in options for the P-201UH (05) and P-203UH (06) headunits. The Jazzy one requires a silent CD; the Leptronix one does not, but I was not satisfied with the sound quality; and the third one requires a shit-ton of soldering. The P-204UH/SVXdc solution has none of these drawbacks.

About as good as it can be. It was as good as the OEM implementation of aux-in is on my Spec.B. Which is to say, about as good as playing an MP3 CD using the headunit (standard MP3 clipping, but no other penalties versus CD-quality).

Let's put it this way: there are three aux-in options for the P-201UH (05) and P-203UH (06) headunits. The Jazzy one requires a silent CD; the Leptronix one does not, but I was not satisfied with the sound quality; and the third one requires a shit-ton of soldering. The P-204UH/SVXdc solution has none of these drawbacks.

That doesn't sound hateful. Much better than the modulated crap.

But, the SVXdc adapter is totally plug-and play. The one I'm talking about is not listed on his website. It has an i85 (or i88?) connector on one end, and a 3.5mm minijack female connector on the other end (you plug the aux-in cable into that). The i85/i88 is pass-through, so you plug the original connector that attaches to the back of the headunit into the harness, and then plug the harness into the headunit.

Radio is on it's way! :D

Haven't heard back from SVXdc about the harness. So you're using the harness instead of the iSimple? Since the radio is coming from a newer Legacy with an aux input, can I purchase the corresponding "trim piece" (or whatever) with the mini phone female connector already attached? Or did you just drill a small hole somewhere on the dash and mount the connector there? Thanks again.

• I Donated
Haven't heard back from SVXdc about the harness. So you're using the harness instead of the iSimple? Since the radio is coming from a newer Legacy with an aux input, can I purchase the corresponding "trim piece" (or whatever) with the mini phone female connector already attached? Or did you just drill a small hole somewhere on the dash and mount the connector there? Thanks again.

The iSimple is necessary if you want iPod/iPhone control through the headunit, or if you want Bluetooth. It's unnecessary if all you want is an aux-in.

The trim piece requires a new center console box, as the space for it does not exist on 05-06 Legacies. Also, it is designed to work with the OEM harness, which I believe is expensive and requires wire splicing to work. It's easiest to drill a hole in the bottom of the center console box and run a longish cable through there. That's what I did on my 05.

Just to chime in here. I bought a Novero TheTrustyOne bluetooth unit for $110 that I will be installing soon. I have a 7" Galaxy tab that I want to stream through the stereo as well as connect to my phone. The Novero unit is able to pair to two devices simultaneously which is why I went with it. I didn't see another unit at that price that could do that. Bought a Parrot ISO/DIN bluetooth harness that looks like it will work with the Novero unit from Crutchfield for $30. So should hopefully be a plug and play solution. Now I just have to look to see how the bezel and radio comes out on these cars.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The problem could simply be the 3.5mm aux jack itself, since that part can get the most abuse. See the thread Phatty McPatty linked to to open up your armrest console and also pull your HU.

For starters, make sure all of the factory aux plugs were connected (if any weren't, that was probably your problem).

If that wasn't it, unplug the factory aux harness ("i85") from the HU. Leave the other end of the factory aux harness still connected to the aux jack. Plug a 3.5mm cable into the aux jack and use an ohm meter to check continuity. See i85 pin-out here.

Also verify that plugging/unplugging your audio plug into the factory aux jack closes and opens the aux enable switch (i85 pin 6 should get connected to chassis ground when a plug is inserted).

If any of that doesn't work, use your ohm meter to check continuity on the factory aux harness (unplugged from the aux jack). If that's good, open up the aux pod and check that out. Pictures here.

OEM aux pod is P/N 86257AG100. Price is about $51 + shipping from the online discount Subaru parts vendors (MSRP $70).

Got it all setup with the isimple is32. Mounted the stuff by the shifter and the connects in the center console. Really happy with the ease of install and the quality for the money.

Bought the unit for $45 and the antenna harness for $19.

Got it all setup with the isimple is32. Mounted the stuff by the shifter and the connects in the center console. Really happy with the ease of install and the quality for the money.

Bought the unit for $45 and the antenna harness for $19.

How is the sound quality? I'd like to buy something, just not sure if I want to go through the trouble of the jazzy install, or do this. This seems much more simple, but the sound quality will be my deciding factor.

How is the sound quality? I'd like to buy something, just not sure if I want to go through the trouble of the jazzy install, or do this. This seems much more simple, but the sound quality will be my deciding factor.

It's the best 'FM' audio I've ever had through the system. It's not CD but I wasn't expecting that.

Setup was simple and I placed the connections here to use the pass through on the armrest/center console section.

Took me about 1 hour to install the unit. Would have gone faster if I had a dremel but I used a knife to make the opening in the armrest to pass the cable, and played with a few setup options.

IMG_1530.thumb.JPG.1b5713f0ac9fd272cf15e3bb230dfe53.JPG

It's the best 'FM' audio I've ever had through the system. It's not CD but I wasn't expecting that.

Setup was simple and I placed the connections here to use the pass through on the armrest/center console section.

Took me about 1 hour to install the unit. Would have gone faster if I had a dremel but I used a knife to make the opening in the armrest to pass the cable, and played with a few setup options.

Good to know... Thanks!

Good to know... Thanks!

What I liked about it was the following:

1. Ultra low cost

2. Kept stock headunit

3. Picked up a powered USB connection

4. Didn't change the look/feel of the interior.

5. Flexible placement

6. Reasonable audio - I'm streaming pandora so FM is about all I need for quality

Hope that's helpful. I know there are 'better' audio setups but for the money I'm not sure iSimple can be beat. Amazon had the best pricing.

Archived