LegacyGT.com

VW Rabbit Diesel

• Moderators

I’m thinking about buying an old (as in 198X) VW rabbit for my regular commute. Gas prices suck and commuting in a similar car would likely lower my insurance.

Anyone know much about these cars? I’m interested in a diesel, and don’t much care if it’s a 2dr, 4dr, or pickup, but would prefer a pickup over a 4dr and a 4dr over a 2dr if I’m being honest. With a 25+ year old vehicle though, I’d be more interested in the right one than the right body style.

I know that rust is probably the biggest enemy here, and other than that it’s likely that most things could be fixed on an as needed basis. This would be a second car, so I would always be able to drive the LGT if needed.

Just looking for some input on this. Am I totally crazy for wanting one of these cars? Is it going to become a money pit of repairs or will I be able to spend some weekend hours here and there to keep it running / slowly restore it?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

A friend and former customer of mine had one (pickup) that had a late 80's TDi in it. It was a neat little ride, especially after the straight pipe and bright orange paint. It sounded like a mini Kenworth when he pulled away from a stop. I'd rock one done up like that since the turbo will at least get you some get up and go but that's venturing into custom work because, AFAIK, they never came turbo diesel. Just N/A.

• Moderators

Yeah, the whole point of me picking one up would be for the mileage. I'd want to keep it running like a top and getting me 50mpg. Other than that I'd only replace parts as needed and work on rust/wear spots when I had the time.

The 60hp I would just have to deal with :)

My 'Bro-in-law had a Dasher diesel back in the 80's, might even have been a late 70's car... too long ago. I do remember he used to joke about the 0-60 being timed with a sundial...

It was slow to the point of being dangerous in traffic.

• Moderators
do you drive on the highway at all?

I do have to go on the highway, yes. I would only use it for my regular commute though, which is all easy-to-merge areas and stop-and-go traffic. I really don't think it would be too much of a problem.

The 60hp I would just have to deal with :)

The original 1.6l inline-4 diesels in the first generation Rabbit and pickups (Caddy in other markets) only made around 48 SAE net hp in U.S. specification. They were gutless, even for a 2,000 lb. car. To make matters worse, in the early 1980s VW even stuffed the 1.6l diesel in a 3,500 pound Vanagon. :lol:

• Mega Users
I do have to go on the highway, yes. I would only use it for my regular commute though, which is all easy-to-merge areas and stop-and-go traffic. I really don't think it would be too much of a problem.

im not sure those go over 65mph

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Archived