LegacyGT.com

How much $$$ for 17" snows?

UrQ

[quote name='outahere'][quote name='gtguy'].........The LM-series Blizzak is the available tire in the GT's size. And remember, you can't go minus-1 because of the size of the brakes. Kevin[/quote] Bridgestone announced in June that the Blizzak LM22 is being replaced by the LM25 (V,H, and T speed ratings), and the LM18 is being replaced by the LM20. Both of these new tires are said to benefit from improved computer simulation of snow traction and wet traction.[/quote] That would be cool. Hopefully, reviews will be out before it's time to buy snows. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']Naaaah. My Legacy GT wagon on DMS Golds was lower, and with WS Blizzaks it was like a snow plow. I still remember a big storm we had in Evanston one year. I came up the alley, with snow washing over the hood of the car. It was awesome. I stopped, backed into the garage (up a slight incline) and shut the car off. A neighbor who was digging out his Ford Explorer, said incredulously, "What kind of car is that?" :lol: Kevin[/quote] Wow, funny and amazing story. :D Here is a link to more on the LM25 and LM20 tires: [url]http://www.bridgestone-eu.com/articles.asp?ID=55914[/url]

Completely off topic for a moment... As someone who does a lot of "computer simulations" like the ones done on those tires, it is amazing how often those simulations are used these days. I work with aircraft oriented stuff where it might be expected. It still amazes me to hear about tires, sunglasses, exhaust pieces, etc. going through similar testing. I really need to look for these jobs where I could make real money.... Back on topic, I am a major fan of the Nokian WRs unless you are driving in deep snow 25-50% of the year. Some deep snow, a lot of plowed snow, and wet/dry winter roads are the perfect playground for the WRs. Ted
:spin:

I would guess that they use a finite element analysis for the "edge pressure simulation," which is used mainly by mechanical engineers, and some CFD (computational fluid dynamics) for the "snow share force simulation," which is used mainly by aeronautical enginners. Ted
:spin:

• 1 month later...
Ach...well, at least I can provide some new information. Apparently, as near as can be gleaned from Babelfish, this is a replacement for the Hakka Q, with an emphasis on non-snow performance as well as snow performance. A Russian magazine did a thorough test, and liked the RSi quite a lot, and that was on a Saab 9-5, which doesn't have AWD. As we all know, the Hakka Q is a legendary hunk of rubber. Compared to the Blizzaks, the Nokian might be a better choice. Once the magic multicell Bridgestone compound wears down, you're left with an all-season tire. Nokians retain the same driving characteristics throughout the life of the tire. Hmmmm. Kevin

Sorry Kev... I guess I was a quickdraw on the "repost" smiley. :) With the heavily siped hakkas, I didn't find wear to be all that much better than the Blizzaks, to be honest. My wife had the Q's on her car, and they lasted 2 seasons, I think. Now, we didn't have a lot of snow those winters, and she does not treat them more gingerly in the corners in the dry, so that may have compounded the wear. The Old School Hakas (NR09s, NR10s) definitely wore better. I'm not sure the new ones do all that great in the real world. And by the time you've worn through the multcell portion of the Blizzak, the effective tread depth isn't so effective anyway. And this comes from a die-hard Hakka guy... I've had them on all my cars since about 87. But after seeing my wife's Q's wear more quickly than I expected, I went with Blizzaks. They're definitely good tires. Now, when I get the LGT in about a month, I'm not sure which way I'll go. It'll probably come down to a coin toss, because I really don't think there's that much to differentiate the two (Hakka's and Blizzaks), despite what the literature says.

[quote name='gtguy']....A Russian magazine did a thorough test, and liked the RSi quite a lot, and that was on a Saab 9-5, which doesn't have AWD.........Kevin[/quote] As an added benefit, the Nokian RSi has canola oil as one of its ingredients. Wonder how the tire smells! :D :) In the Russian test, what other tires were tested against the RSi?

[quote name='outahere'][quote name='gtguy']....A Russian magazine did a thorough test, and liked the RSi quite a lot, and that was on a Saab 9-5, which doesn't have AWD.........Kevin[/quote] As an added benefit, the Nokian RSi has canola oil as one of its ingredients. Wonder how the tire smells! :D :) In the Russian test, what other tires were tested against the RSi?[/quote] Seemed to be the RSi by its lonesome, but it also sounded as if these lads were VERY familiar with winter tire performance. :lol: Kevin

Archived