LegacyGT.com

Inconsistent start ups

So I have been noticing for a little while my car does not start the same every time. Get in, depress clutch, turn key. Sometime its will fire right up, rpms jump to about 2k then settle down to normal idle.(after the full needle swoosh) The other times, I will do exactly the same routine, and it will sound weak, like the rpms don't get past 500, then it will settle into normal idle. Both times it drives fine, I just don't understand the inconsistency. Its an 09 GT Limited with 24k on the clock, so I doubt the starter is going...any ideas?

You're switching the key to the on position for a few seconds before cranking over, right?

07+ have secondary air pumps that do some sort of a bullshit for emissions- I have not taken the effort to understand it as it's a stupid clutter in the engine bay. Anyway, during cold starts it cycles on for about 10 seconds. During this time the rpm's can stumble or move around. You'll hear the whoosh/fan noise while the fan is on, then you can hear it shutoff and usually the rpms will jump up to around right under 2k. Then as the engine warms the rpms slowly settle down to the stock 750rpm setting while the clutch is depressed.

Initial cold starts with 07+ can be concerning to the owner as the air pump resonates engine noises and sometimes makes a racket, whilst playing around with the rpms for the first 10-15 seconds of start.

If your concerned about a weak starter then check your battery and/or replace it.

Had no clue about the air pump. It always starts, thats never a problem, it just doesnt act the same each time. Ill give the on position technique a try and see if that makes them more consistent. Its not a huge deal, I just dont want to be back here in a month saying WTF why wont my car start.

Archived