LegacyGT.com

2008 3.0r 6spd swap

Shift linkage and console, Transmission mount, Differential, axles, Clutch, Flywheel, Clutch pedal, brake pedal.

I have read that majority of the manual trans do bolt up to the 3.0 engine but not sure which exact ones are compatible.

There is a fair amount of people who has done this swap in the SVX but not in the Legacy line-up.

The cheapest I've seen for the swap is $6,000. $3,000 for the parts alone and $3,000 for the labor. You might be able to get away cheaper if you do it yourself. I am considering doing this myself sometime down the road if I still have the car.

And I've also heard that the cruise control no longer works after the swap. But I believe the problem lies in the ECU because in the auto tranny, the computer shifts gear to adjust the speed. While in the manual tranny, the computer just controls the RPM with the gas pedal. Either way, it might be a problem that you want to look into.

seems about right. Cheapest I've seen was a spec B transmission go for $1750, next up was a 6 speed STI transmission go for $2100 but with either a broken bellhousing or a center diff. housing.

you'll have to be very lucky to come up a deal like Kodax mentioned.

I've seen liberty motors with the 6spd sti trans which is what they come with in AUS complete for 2800, and the way sti's are crashed I think the trans and diff are easy I'm curious of wiring and electrical problems, I can't believe there ain't a right up on this somewhere, I've seen the svx ones but I'd rather refer to other legacy's.....people are sleeping on this motor, I gave up my 350z for 3.0r and love, please continue to help

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/another-5eat-6mt-5mt-swap-questions-05-lgt-thread-132374.html?t=132374&highlight=5eat+6mt

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-6mt-swap-need-1-part-161764.html?highlight=5eat+6mt

Read the threads, there's ton of information in it. You need quite a few parts to began a swap and you should factor in about 1 month of downtime on your vehicle.

Good luck!

I would go with a 3.90 5MT over the 3.54 6MT. Bellhousing are the same for the EZ and the EJ so bolting one up shouldn't be too difficult. Youll need the pedal box from a manual Subaru and the drive train parts that match your gearbox i.e. driveshaft, rear diff, etc.

The driveline installation wont be that tough and you could do that part yourself but the wiring for the ignition system (clutch pedal, neutral switch, brake, etc) will be tricky bc your ECU doesn't know how to use a clutch pedal in relation to the throttle body, VDC etc.

One idea that I never see thrown around is buying a ECU for a EZ36D 6MT equipped Legacy/Liberty. There is no need to reinvent the wheel or suffer through painful pinouts and tuning session to control I/O when Subaru has done this for us already.

I can't believe there ain't a right up on this somewhere, I've seen the svx ones but I'd rather refer to other legacy's.....people are sleeping on this motor, I gave up my 350z for 3.0r and love, please continue to help

The H-6 is a cool motor but I think most people would rather spend the $6k on upgrades for the 2.5 turbo that already has a manual rather than on a transmission swap (even though it would be more like $4k on upgrades and $2k for a rainy day fund for when something in the engine borks). Don't get me wrong, I admire you for thinking about doing this - it is just 'the road less traveled.' Good luck!

• 5 years later...

Bolting everything you need should not be a problem. Your biggest issue is the ECU/TCU. ECU will look for missing/incorrectly operating TCU and who knows what's gonna happen. Not sure if anyone had success converting AT car into a MT - I read there might have been a couple attempts, but they might have involved swapping in MT ECU which is readily available for 2.5T cars.

However - 3.0R came with manual in JDM and EDM. If you can get hold of a ECU from such a car this should be doable, hopefully wiring harness will be (sufficiently) compatible.

3.0R+6MT would be awesome and reliable combo. I'd totally trade one of my GTs for something like that, in a wagon form, of course.

Archived