LegacyGT.com

performance LGT auto

hello everyone , are there any relatively cheap up grades that that will wake up my gt sedan with out sacrificing and maybe even enhancing MPG's. Thanks in advance! ps I already picked up an after market air cleaner it's a specter performance. A C.A.I. & free flow exhaust is not in my budget .

• I Donated

Do your research

All the answers you could ever want are stickied at the top of the forum.

Second Gen Aftermarket Parts and Upgrade Guide

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

light weight pulley around $100, cold air intake 50-300$.

hi thanks for the reply where would I find a lite weight pulley, and a $50 C.I.A. Im assuming your talking about the crank pulley, and you'd get quicker throttle response right?

Honestly, the best way to really gain some power for your car is to upgrade the exhaust from the headers back and install a K&N panel filter and get rid of the "torque box" that is in line to the throttle body by installing an intake tube from a 2.2 or a 1996 2.5

Every other little upgrade only affects performance in a small way, and you'll have to make a lot of changes for them to add up. And that gets expensive. Saving up and upgrading your exhaust is worth it.

You'll probably have around 130 ish at the wheels with a UEL header, high flow cat pipe and high flow cats, a street performance muffler, and upgrading the intake.

Honestly, the best way to really gain some power for your car is to upgrade the exhaust from the headers back and install a K&N panel filter and get rid of the "torque box" that is in line to the throttle body by installing an intake tube from a 2.2 or a 1996 2.5

Every other little upgrade only affects performance in a small way, and you'll have to make a lot of changes for them to add up. And that gets expensive. Saving up and upgrading your exhaust is worth it.

You'll probably have around 130 ish at the wheels with a UEL header, high flow cat pipe and high flow cats, a street performance muffler, and upgrading the intake.

Thanks , but aren't these 98lgt's rated @ about 165 hp stock? Or is that at the crank ? I test drove an 04 or maybe it was an 08 imprezza with the same 2.5 motor it was rated @ 168 hp and it would really snap u back in your seat. It was @ a dealer ship and was stock, with no mods. It also was an auto but it had the slap stick auto , its what started my search for a subie ! BTW any reconmendations for a H.F. cat, C.I A. ? And any info on the torque box and 2.2 or 96 2.5 intake tube would be greatly appreciated. this is my 1'st subi so im still learning.Thanks again! PS I live in a state where I dont have to have my car smog tested

Yes, the stock engine makes 165 horsepower at the crank.

There are several reason why the 08 impreza drives differently. It is just more responsive on initial throttle input. After that it's got nothing. And honestly I didn't like the 08 when I drove it because there is just not enough feedback from anything.. It just feels very numb.

And what would you like to know about the torque box?

Yes, the stock engine makes 165 horsepower at the crank.

And what would you like to know about the torque box?

is it that big black monstrosity that sits behind the throttlebody and the 2.2 or 96 tube flows better I'm guessing .

It is exactly that. And yes, the 2.2 and 96 2.5 intake tube flow better. The large box disrupts air flow by slowing intake air and then speeding it up again.

Thanks for that info! is there a particular year or model 2.2 I should look for , and is that pre 97 or just 96 2.5's. Also will I need the air filter box off the donor car as well?

• 2 weeks later...
It is exactly that. And yes, the 2.2 and 96 2.5 intake tube flow better. The large box disrupts air flow by slowing intake air and then speeding it up again.

Kenny thanks for the tip I was able to get an intake tube off a 94 2.2 from a u-pull bone yard today with all the hoses and clamps + a couple other odds & ends for , can you beleve $15 bucks! I had to mod one vacume hose a little ,other than that it fit like a glove! I had it instaled in about 15 min even with the hose mod . All my air cleaner box stuff lined up prefectly! Btw the first test run, seat of the pants dino, was positive. Thanks again!

Kenny thanks for the tip I was able to get an intake tube off a 94 2.2 from a u-pull bone yard today with all the hoses and clamps + a couple other odds & ends for , can you beleve $15 bucks! I had to mod one vacume hose a little ,other than that it fit like a glove! I had it instaled in about 15 min even with the hose mod . All my air cleaner box stuff lined up prefectly! Btw the first test run, seat of the pants dyno, was positive. Thanks again!

Update 2hrs later, its a cool night here in indiana and I have some wonderful back roads, so I deciced to take her for another spin ran like a scalded bitch! But, as soon as I started it I got a CEL :confused: any ideas ? all my vacum lines are tight . Ill get the codes read tomorrow, and post an update.

What vacuum line did you modify? What code(s) popped up?

the code was a po106 MAP sensor. after checking more closely this morning I found a small cracked vacuum line that i'm pretty sure ran to the MAP , I fixed it pulled the neg. bat. cable for about 30 min and no cel so far, although I haven't driven it yet , just idle in the driveway. last nite it came on immediately after starting. Btw the hose I had to mod was one of the long ones that go to each head. I had to lengthen one. Could these be pvc valves? or part of the Crankcase ventilation system.

Thanks for the reply!

My biggest suggestion is to read the stickies at the top of the 2nd gen forum, you can learn so much from them. Basically if you have money, doing a swap seems like that way to go but it means you need to have a spare mode of transportation in the mean time. Doing a swap also requires other upgrades to the car also.

I would suggest starting with simple stuff. Upgrading the air intake and upgrading the exhaust made my car peppier. Replacing the center pipe with two resonators quiets the car down with out loosing power. Upgrading the suspension is a great simple bolt on mod you can do, and then you can build from there.

Be realistic also consider how many miles and how old the car is, pushing an older car to its limits is not really that great of an idea. Stuff in the car needs to be refreshed in order to handle. For daily driving do you really need a fast car, i feel like it is fairly rare to find a fuel efficient fast car.

General Modding Rules....1)Suspension 2) Brakes 3) Power

My biggest suggestion is to read the stickies at the top of the 2nd gen forum, you can learn so much from them. Basically if you have money, doing a swap seems like that way to go but it means you need to have a spare mode of transportation in the mean time. Doing a swap also requires other upgrades to the car also.

I would suggest starting with simple stuff. Upgrading the air intake and upgrading the exhaust made my car peppier. Replacing the center pipe with two resonators quiets the car down with out loosing power. Upgrading the suspension is a great simple bolt on mod you can do, and then you can build from there.

Be realistic also consider how many miles and how old the car is, pushing an older car to its limits is not really that great of an idea. Stuff in the car needs to be refreshed in order to handle. For daily driving do you really need a fast car, i feel like it is fairly rare to find a fuel efficient fast car.

General Modding Rules....1)Suspension 2) Brakes 3) Power

Well first of all thanks for the reply , but as I have said before I have read all of the gen 2 sticks , and some of the info I'm looking for is no longer there or does not answer my specific question. 2nd, I very happy with the Lgt's suspension Ive driven sporty cars all my life from MGA toTR6's and I still own an 87e-30 325ic. And this subie blows away the british cars Ive owned, and is right there with the bimmer as far as the fun factor go's ! lastly i'm not trying to build a 300 whp machine , and I have no intention of doing a swap, I just want to wake her up a little with out it sounding like a Honda ricer! The mods I do should also help my cruising mpg's I just want to let her breathe a little.

Archived