LegacyGT.com

1995 Legacy 180K -- Maint. List for Max Reliability?

I'm replacing the trans, ball joints, tie rod ends, fixing typical oil leaks, gaskets, & timing belt on a friend's 1995 Legacy. I know nothing about the maint. history of the car. Can anyone please supply a list of items to replace "while I'm about it" to maximize reliability on this vehicle at this stage in it's life?

Thanks,

Rob

• I Donated

Rob,

Coolant flush

Oil Change

Power Steering Flush

Brake Flush

Transmission service (if 5 speed change fluid only) filter, gasket, and fluid

Front and rear diff fluid change

alignment

check brakes

timing belt

adjust valves

clean intake tract

clean idle air control valve

spark plugs

plug wires

clean mass air flow sensor

fuel filter

recharge ac

check starting / charging system

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Brok, you forgot putting air in the tires, :lol:. Oh, and cleaning the throttle body.

And rob, what does 'fixing typical oil leaks, gaskets, and timing belt' mean to you exactly? Typical oil leaks include but are not limited to rear main seal, oil separator plate, cam cap o-rings, oil pump seal and o-ring, crank seal, cam sprocket seals, oil pan, oil pan plug washer that only lasts one or two oil changes, etc. Timing belt maintenance means to some us as replacing timing belt, idlers, pulleys, and tensioner.

You could also replace your power steering pump gaskets/o-rings.

But that's about it besides replacing all your axles, lug nuts, grounding mod. I mean if you want to get all anal I guess you could replace your engine and tranny mounts and HGs. :lol: I'm sure there are a few more things you could do besides what we have mentioned.

edit: oh yeah, dont forget to replace the water pump.

Thanks for the information, guys.

I've done the oil separator plate (after getting invaluable information from past posts on this forum on how to get the flex plate bolts out -- as in -- Sears "Bolt Out" set $19) and intend to do a full timing belt service, with seals + water pump later.

Are there electrical components that should be routinely replaced at this point? On the rear wheel drive Volvos 7xx, 9xx, for example the fuel pump relay and radio interference (?) relays are notorious for intermittent failure at around this age. Anything similar on these cars?

And what about replacing the fuel pump? Do they have a tendency to fail at 200K?

Thanks,

Rob

Does your fuel gauge still work? Mine doesn't and I just use the trip meter. There are two fuel sending units in our leggys that are notorious for going bad. You can also get a cheap ebay knock sensor ($15) and replace yours since it is probably cracked and about to go bad anyway. Fuel neck fillers go bad too, mine did.

You are going to have a new car when you are done! :)

Archived