LegacyGT.com

Problem: air line between wg actuator and turbo

Long story short: Installed VF48, which was clocked to work in the Legacy. Was not getting more than spring pressure boost, and attempted to install restrictor pill at tuner's request. The problem that I'm having is that the wastegate actuator and nipple on the turbo (which rotates) are now really close together. I can't get the lines back on without a 160 degree bend. I've attached a picture to show how the mechanic that did the install set it up before. Obviously it wasn't working that way, which is why I'm attempting to correct it. The only solution that I can come up with is to add a foot to one of the lines to make it a sweep instead of a bend. If I'm correct in my thinking, which I may not be, then adding that much distance to push the air will create massive lag. How do I correct this?

If I had it to do over again I would have just gone with a turbo that was meant for the Legacy, but I took the advice of a mechanic that I trusted at the time and got the VF48. I'm hoping there is a way to get through this without swapping turbos.

IMG_2716.thumb.jpg.d222f79b998419bfdb86eb35826c7089.jpg

diagram.jpg.2e1c51de10e6f3a82adee93b78a8b10a.jpg

Do what bmx045 say's, he has great avatars !

If you can put a smaller pill in there you will get more boost, but we need a tune for it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm thinking you'll want to keep the compressor housing line with the pill in line with the waste gate, and the branch off the T to the solenoid.

Can you run a 4-5" piece of hose with the pill, from the housing under that black braded hose and T to the WG ?

Keep the pill close to the housing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm not sure what the confusion is, look at my picture, make your picture look like that with similar length hose.

Well I know every time I look at your post I get distracted.

To clear up some confusion going on in here... The drawing I made is where the mechanic put the pill when he installed the turbo. The wg and the turbo were not inline, and I was not getting proper boost. That's what I'm trying to correct. I can't just do what is in the picture that bmx045 posted because the nipple on the wg actuator and the one on the turbo are too close together, they would overlap each other by a half an inch if I rotated the one side around. If I try to force it, I get a major kink in the hose, no air could possibly flow. What I'm going to try this afternoon is to extend the line on the turbo side of the t fitting so that it is a smooth curve instead of a major bend.

I'm thinking you'll want to keep the compressor housing line with the pill in line with the waste gate, and the branch off the T to the solenoid.

Can you run a 4-5" piece of hose with the pill, from the housing under that black braded hose and T to the WG ?

Keep the pill close to the housing.

I think I see what you're getting at. I'll give that a shot.

Archived