LegacyGT.com

front suspension thump/harshness

bensonae

i have owned loads of differnet cars but and it seems to me that my leg gt does not like the bumps. not that any car does but when i hit a bump in the road this car sounds like the fram is going to snap. it has always done this but is worse now with sti pinks on stock struts and the re92 in the front at 40psi, 38 in the rear. anyone else have this issue? i thought it was just me until a friend commented on this yesterday. comments/similar experience?

Thanks

are you talking about low impact, hi frequency bumps? If so, that's normal. The struts have a fair amount of resistance to this type of absorbtion, but are damped to handle the bigger stuff. It's a sports suspension....

For the record, the Mini we own with the sports suspension option is three times as harsh. You feel everything.

you shouldn't have any really harsh ride like that... at least not that I know of. Go and ride in an STi or Evo, and then come back to us of your impressions in comparison to the GT. I am sure you will say the STi and Evo are crazy stiff for a stock car... well, like PGT said, it's sport suspension. It's hard to get the best of everything.

Keefe

Keefe

BMW is probably the only company that puts out a stock suspension that is the 'right' balance of sportiness while retaining ride comfort. It's hard to compare a $28K car against a $45K car in that respect.

I fyou shortened the suspensions length of travel, you are just going to get a harsher ride. I've come form an eclipse GSX which had a very short length of travel, and it was pretty harsh with the bumps. My LGT is much nicer with bumps, but based on the feel of the handling, I'd have to say that it does most of the smoothing out in the first inch or so of compression on progressive rate springs.

You took that out to get things lower and stiffer... that's what you paid for with the pink springs. It also helps to try to avoid the nastier stuff. your car will thank you in the long run.

I fyou shortened the suspensions length of travel, you are just going to get a harsher ride. I've come form an eclipse GSX which had a very short length of travel, and it was pretty harsh with the bumps. My LGT is much nicer with bumps, but based on the feel of the handling, I'd have to say that it does most of the smoothing out in the first inch or so of compression on progressive rate springs.

You took that out to get things lower and stiffer... that's what you paid for with the pink springs. It also helps to try to avoid the nastier stuff. your car will thank you in the long run.

it's only true if the shock valves are the same.. you can get a larger shock (such as my coilovers) and shorten the suspension travel (afterall, we are talking about moving volume of fluids from one chamber to the next in a shock).

I think the main point here is understanding what you have in the car before you even modify it.. because sometimes the changes we are looking for without understanding what we started with will result in a total questionable and unanswered outcome.

Keefe

Keefe

And running 40 psi in the fronts with the RE92s will definitely cause some tha-thump in the front end. Just going from 35 to 38 fronts added quite a bit to the tha-thump feel over bumps and road joints.

Do believe that the STI Pinks on the stock struts are contributing to the feel as others have mentioned. Just a suggestion, but for your next mod, try the Pinks with the Spec B Bilsteins if you want to marginalize the "stiffness" response over the Pinks/stock setup or go with the complete JDM Spec B setup (Bilsteins/Springs) setup for better handling and ride quality.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived