LegacyGT.com

RallyArmor Mud Flap Installation Issue

So I'm wondering if anyone here can solve my problem, or tell me how they might have done it, or would do it. I bought some RallyArmor mud flaps for my car - just the universal fit ones, which seem fine. The rear flaps were easy to install since the bolt points on the car left from the stock flaps suited the new ones nicely.

The fronts are a bit more complicated, and I'm not entirely certain as to how to proceed. The only good defined mounting holes I have at the moment are two holes on the outer edge of the fender - one near the bottom and one higher up. What I need is a third mounting location somewhere further inward to keep the inside portion of the flap from flopping forward and hitting the tire. However, there is no good location provided. I stumbled across this DIY that someone posted, but it seems kind of cheesy. I was wondering if anyone had any better solutions?

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t117114-diy-how-install-rally-armor-universal-mudflaps.html

Is it okay to drill into the wheel well to put a bolt in like that? I'm trying to picture what that separates - is it the engine bay or the passenger compartment? I suppose I could just drill a hole, but instead of installing a bracket, just put a bolt through a corner of the mud flap into that hole.

So you can just drill into the wheel well without too much issue? I don't know why it WOULD cause an issue as long as it was plugged up by a tightly-fitting bolt fitted against a piece of rubber, but I'm just wondering... I mean - a LOT of water and salt-spray occurs in there, lol.

• 11 months later...

Hey Stang70Fastback,

Fellow Virginian here. Any luck with mounting the universals? I just purchased some for my '98 Legacy and am a bit confused on how to mount them. :lol:

If you have them successfully mounted would you be able to do a video and post it on YouTube or something like that? Just need some help with this. Theres not really any bolts on rear to use, but there is the two you were talking about on the front.

Any help would be great!!! Thanks!

-Gian

You will have the same issue no matter where you buy your flaps from unless they come with a mounting bracket of some sort. I don't like having the flap only attached along one axis. I prefer a third, inboard mounting point to secure them a bit better so they don't flop around TOO much.

my flapatax are very stiff and dont flap around at all despite only being bolted in the 2 outer holes. they've been on for a few months and have seen a lot of snow action with no problems. the universal rally armors are thin flappy dogshit.

The flapatax are like rokblokz.

They are very flexible but if held in a position they would crease. They are literally the perfect amount of flop to let dirt/snow release but rigid enough to where they still have very good protection. The flapatax are a little cheaper as well, but I have to say, the rokblokz have the 3 mounting holes and from what I've heard they go on with no bs.

Only have seen the flapatax, but actually installed the rokblokz on my buddies 06' wrx wagon.

Ah. Well that's not what I wanted for my wagon. I wanted something that would not crease or in any way be permanently deformed if it hit an obstacle (happened I don't know how many times with the stock mud guards. Sounds like the flapatax are a bit too solid for what I was looking for, myself. The RallyArmor flaps seem to be doing just fine at protecting the vehicle though.

Even if the rokblokz come with three mounting holes, that doesn't solve the fact that there aren't three mounting holes in the front wheel well and you will still have to drill if you want all three points secured.

The rokbloks have an OEM fit. All hardware included.

When I said crease, its nothing to do with driving. Its hard to explain maleability through a forum lol.

Like if you were to take end to end and fold it.

Imagine the rokblokz like an opaque 3/16 lexan.

I just think rokblokz's approach is right, they kinda took what everyone hated about all the previously available flaps and corrected them.

As always its preference/vehicle specifically.

I don't think you'd have an issue with drilling thru the actual wheel well.

And like subi kid said, use a drop of silicone and if that doesn't sit well with you go grab a tube of U-418 from beta seal (or other equivalent). Its primerless windsheild urethane and its specifically designed to hold water/outside elements.

I've used it from anything to fixing my co workers above ground pool (held up for an unexpected 5 years) to gluing my roomates shit to the walls.

Stuff is awesome, and its readily available in a caulk gun sized tube.

Archived