LegacyGT.com

Quieting my exhaust setup

bsax14

i added a 2nd muffler! the magnaflow 3" round mufflers run about 90$ shipped but fitment was great on m mid pipe and its a slip muffler. you cut slip and easy weld. it quieted my cobb catback down TONS.

-B

Just did this same thing to my 3yr old Invidia Q300 V1 exhaust.

The Q300 was claimed to be a very quiet CBE which it was at first but over the years it has gotten LOUD! Anyway I installed a 22" x 3" Magnaflow glasspack and cut out dinkey little invidia resonator in the process. Its slightly quieter and has less drone. I think the road noise is now more noticeable then the exhaust drone. Just ordered some Hushmat to try sound proofing my doors next. Hoping to make a nice quiet ride with a nice rumble when I step on the gas. We'll see if I can make it happen :)

As a side note. The exhaust welding shop would not have normally accepted the work since I bought the part online but they made an exception since they like my car. ;) Muffler was $44 labor was $40

Muffler was $44 labor was $40

:eek:

BTW don't expect sound deadener to make a whole lot of difference with the majority of noise. The real key to a quiet car is in the exhaust and tires; sound deadener is much less impactful, so much so I'm just going to remove mine except where there are speakers.

You sure do get an appreciation for quiet when you own a Lexus with 5 mufflers that only makes in-cabin noise when you buy the wrong tires :( Sometimes I'll forget whether I started the car, which means looking at the tach to see if it's running... with a Subaru you've already lost because of the inherent vibration in a flat 4 configuration, coupled with the UEL stock header.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I've got an 05 lgt wagon with the following exhaust setup:

Perrin equal length headers

Cobb iconel up

Invidia catted dp

Avo mid/Y

Prodrive mufflers

This setup sounds great, but is a little too loud for my taste. I'd like to quiet it down, while keeping my performance as much as possible. Should I :

A. Add a resonator to the y pipe

B. Change the mufflers back to stock

C. Put on stock mid/y

I've also got some a Borla hush setup, but is for a sedan. But I understand those are slip fittings.

Would like to hear everyone's opinion on the issue, thanks in advance!

i have this exact setup, but gt spec EL header and the perrin mid/y which has a resonator. im surprised you find i loud. i love it. if you dont have a resonator int he mid/y, def add one. def dont take out the mufflers. prodrives are awesome.

pics of what I have now.

it started out as a sedan specific version 1 Q300. It fit horribly so its basically a 2 piece cat back now and the rest is all welded together and custom fitted. added some stainless tips to make it fit the wagon bumper but only after a year of it slowly melting my bumper. I have a spare bumper in storage that if I ever decide to have painted I'll be able to throw it on.

SAM_6003.thumb.JPG.93f7e0d38e7878605a3fea4489656d3b.JPG

SAM_6004.thumb.JPG.93316bfea6697067acbf050c97252ceb.JPG

thought i would chime in here too, rather than starting another thread about same scenario, i have a Milltek catless DP with resonator, magnaflow center cat section and then a Fujitsubo Legalis R cat back system. Im wondering how much of a restriction i would be introducing if i switched back to stock CBE? It sounds a bit shit on low revs with the twinscroll setup, very raspy, thats probably down to the DP and custom center sports cat section, but sounds sweet when opened up. Dont get much of an opportunity to open it up though these days!!

I have a Cobb downpipe, AVO mid/Y, and then stock mufflers. No drone, incredibly quiet, but still has a nice note when you step on it. A resonator to kill drone and then the stock mufflers is the way to go for quietness.

I've put back my stock cans back on with my CNT catted DP and ebay resonated mid + Y as the cabin noise was too much compared to outside which was really nice...

Result = Extremely quiet !! Almost to much... :(

might throw in some hogzaust washers :rolleyes: or wait for the TurboXS mufflers

• 1 year later...
bringing this back to life a bit... is it a general consensus that a catted dp (only) is quieter than a cbe (only)? lookin for that ever-so-slight power increase with a touch more tone... thoughts? Thanks.

Please clarify your question, as the two points of reference are vague, open-ended apples and oranges.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

i have an 05 legacy gt, pretty much stock except for an uppipe. i've been wanting to make another upgrade and felt i should know what to expect as far as increased sound dBs go. i've had 4 cyl NA cars before as well as other 4 cyl turbos, so i know what different setups can sound like. however, i'd like to only make 1 upgrade which will give me a little more power as well as just a little tone. i've heard/read that invidia 300 catted DP is the way to go and keep the rest of the exhaust stock including the muffs. would it be accurate for me to assume this that a catted dp rather than a cbe would be more beneficial as less sound is my main concern? Thanks.

Yes, if you'd like a bit more power without a lot of sound (if I am understanding your question correctly) definitely switch the DP and leave the stock CBE.

I have a Cobb CBE which I remain ambivalent about to date just because there are days when I am putting around, commuting not driving, and get tired of the added noise.

By adding a midpipe resonator, I got the level / tone down to an acceptable level but still have days I wish it was even that much more of a 'sleeper.'

So I understand your desire to add power without noise. The Cobb unit has been one of the better reviewed / supposedly better made CBEs out there and it still, as I said, hasn't been quite ideal for me.

Interestingly, adding the midpipe resonator cost me the tiniest bit of HP but also moved by spool point upward by a couple of hundred RPMs and gave me the same torque - all by airboy. So I wonder what I'd see if I went back to stock mufflers.

That's similar to what I have (Cobb catted DP, Nameless Performance resonated mid, Nameless Y, stock mufflers).

Subjectively, at idle it's virtually stock quiet. Blipping/revving in neutral there's a muted boxer burble/grumble with a subtle hint of 'popping' during backthrottle that's mainly audible when blipping and letting off while standing still in neutral. I never find myself wishing the setup was quieter. If anything I wish it was a titch louder but I'm very pleased w/ the setup. On the road, I hear the motor more than the exhaust, but the balance b/n motor and exhaust noise is pretty good IMO.

On a Mustang AWD 500 SE dyno (Procom Racing in NJ), it put down peak 303 whp (~6100 rpm) / 339 wtq (~3600 rpm), w/ the HP pretty much holding the 290-295 whp level between 5600-6000 rpm and 6250-6750 rpm.

Below is a YouTube vid of my car on the dyno. The audio is obviously clouded by the roar of the fans in front of the motor and the whine of the rollers, but you can still hear the exhaust. If you compare that to vids of others' cars on similar dynos, you can get a pretty good idea of the relative loudness of the exhausts. I recorded the vid from 10-12' behind the car.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C82kCAeDaJQ]20130803_180547.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Dyno plot:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29908599/20130805_150629_1~01.jpg

(Edit: mods incl VF52, IPR TMIC, DW 740's, DW 65 pump, GS EBCS, TGV deletes, Invidia catless UP, GS PnP/coated collectors, Cobb Catted DP, Nameless resonated mid/Y, stock mufflers, 20 psi peak boost tapering to 14 psi by redline)

I concur with above.

Here's a dumb video I made when I was testing out my helmet cam... The mic on the camera was literally 3 feet from the exhaust. This is on startup, which is much louder than it is when the resonator heats up. I almost wish mine was louder too, at least on WOT.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1d-sXLm2D0]Subaru Legacy GT startup - YouTube[/ame]

Archived