LegacyGT.com

Need new shifter bushing on 98 gt

Anyone ever do this, I want to keep it out of a garage if I can do it myself and am not sure how to go about it. The space is tight and I don't see how the inner or front bushing unbolts, any thoughts. this gt always feels like it is in neutral.:confused:

i'm new to my legacy, but i am having the same problem...

i have like a good 7 inches side to side when its IN gear...

when i did my nissan(240sx) i had to remove the shifter entirely which required dropping the tranny just a little (cause i didnt have the proper wrenches)

but im not sure whats what with the AWD

• I Donated

There is a shift linkage joint that connects the linkage to the transmission. Its a swivel type of deal.

The cost of it is roughly $70 from the dealer and it is not repairable, so you have to replace the entire assembly. It bolts on one end with a 12mm bolt/nut and the other end with a roll pin (aka spring pin) that has to be knocked out with a hammer and punch (same thing as the CV axle pin)

It makes it a little easier to do if you drop the exhast so you have more room to work with it, but it is doable to do without dropping the exhaust. I can do one myself in 15 minutes...but thats just because I've done it so many times. The first time I ever did one was in my driveway and it took me over an hour to figure out the best way to get to it.

If you have a 1995 or 1996, the joint has bushings that are replaceable without replacing the entire assembly....but 1997 - 1999 is like I explained.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

There is a shift linkage joint that connects the linkage to the transmission. Its a swivel type of deal.

The cost of it is roughly $70 from the dealer and it is not repairable, so you have to replace the entire assembly. It bolts on one end with a 12mm bolt/nut and the other end with a roll pin (aka spring pin) that has to be knocked out with a hammer and punch (same thing as the CV axle pin)

It makes it a little easier to do if you drop the exhast so you have more room to work with it, but it is doable to do without dropping the exhaust. I can do one myself in 15 minutes...but thats just because I've done it so many times. The first time I ever did one was in my driveway and it took me over an hour to figure out the best way to get to it.

If you have a 1995 or 1996, the joint has bushings that are replaceable without replacing the entire assembly....but 1997 - 1999 is like I explained.

Thank you! Is the linkage visible from under the car? Or is it on top of the tranny? And where does it connect with a 12? I have a 1994 first gen, I'm assuming it's the same deal.

Thanks so much for the info! It's nice going into a project with some general knowledge!

I drilled out the rivet in my linkage, replaced the bushings with mcmaster part number 6294K64 and put it back together with a bolt. combined with a short shifter and all the other bushings from kartboy and TIC it is pretty awesome.

Archived