LegacyGT.com

Is this normal for a 5EAT? Only three wheels spinning

Smokin05GT

Not sure where to ask this, so I'll try here. I got stuck in a snowdrift a little over a week ago and while trying to get unstuck I noticed only 3 wheels were spinning. The rear driver side wheel wouldn't spin no matter how much gas I gave it, yet all the others spun fine. Is this just how the differential on these cars works? I know on front wheel drive cars (used to be a GTP nut) one wheel spinning wayy more than the other was very bad, and you could possibly blow your differential. Somebody set me straight, cause I'm new to AWD, and RWD for that matter.

Welcome to the world of open differentials. The wheel with the least amount of traction will be the first to spin. Your fronts most likely both spun because they had an equal amount of traction.

Your diffs are just doing their job. Only way around it would be to install some sort of traction aid like an LSD.

In the jeep world, you can get away with a "Poor Mans Locker"i in this situation. Pull the e-brake enough to give the slipping wheel some fake traction and more power will be directed to the non-spinning wheel. Obviously too much would lock the rears up and probably make your center diff hate you.

I have heard several comments about the VLSDs not working well in the snow... but then how many people get an opportunity to check which rear wheel is spinning in 90*F+ weather...

Would like to know whether it's YOUR VLSD that isn't working right, or whether ALL VLSD's on 4th gen LGTs are bad at gripping side to side via shear.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Yeah I thought I had a vlsd in back, which is why I was worried. My car has about 164,000 miles on it and well some abuse by me (snow/gravel drifting). I was wanting to get it up on a lift to see if it'll spin with power at all. So is it bad on these differentials if one rear tire is spinning way faster than the other?

Archived