LegacyGT.com

Strange vibration while decelerating/engine braking

I drive an 06 gt with 93000 miles on it. yesterday on my drive to class i noticed that every time im in any gear and off the gas at 2000 RPM's or lower, the car starts to vibrate or shake, sometimes to the point of rattling the dashboard. today i put the car up on a lift, check for any free play in the drive shafts/U-Joints, or cv joints, also checked the rear diff for any strange play or activity, nothing came up at all. all i found was a leak coming from inside the timing cover in the center, im guessing is a crank seal, which also just started, but i dont see how the vibration and the leak could be related. also called the local dealership, who had no idea whatsoever. please any advice would be much appreciated :spin:

A couple things to check would be wheel balancing or a frozen/partially frozen brake caliper piston. I had a similar situation with a severe vibration that could be felt in the steering wheel and was caused by one of the two pistons on one of the front calipers not fully retracting. I ended up replacing the caliper assembly and problem was solved.

I replaced the tires and balanced them myself 2 months ago in january, doesnt seem like a tire or wheel related shimmy, as its not speed specific. Im going to look at the calipers though once i can. seems like that could be it, i cant see any other reason for it. Strange thing is, today it was warmer then usual, around 65 compared to mid 40's, and the vibration wasn't there as much.

Thanks

If you say it has something to do with RPM's, I would first pop the hood with the engine off an toggle it a bit to see if you motor mounts are no good, then I check the oil and see if it needs to be changed.

If you say it has something to do with RPM's, I would first pop the hood with the engine off an toggle it a bit to see if you motor mounts are no good, then I check the oil and see if it needs to be changed.

I did that and there wasnt any excessive freeplay in them, also put it on a lift and checked the tranny mounts for any freeplay and there wasnt any either.

Did you upgrade to a lighter flywheel? That sounds a lot like what happened when I put a lighter flywheel in my WRX. I have a thread on Nasioc and videos on youtube showing it. Such a pain in the ass.

No i didnt personally, but i bought it used over this past summer, i thought it was stock but whn i got home and started looking around, there was a perrin tmic, perrin sways and what looks to be deastchworks injectors, the yellow/gray dot on top. not sure on the size tough. But i dont know what else could be done to it, although the pedal isnt heavy, seems stock. as far as i know i is stock with the dual mass flywheel these things come with.

My thread...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1970326&highlight=flywheel

My video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVQwpK68Foo]06 Subaru WRX Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, Exedy Stage 1 flywheel - YouTube[/ame][/QUO

really nothing like that, only 2000 rpms or below nothing at all above. and its not as much a sound as just a vibration

so figured it out, as strange this may sound. did the timing belt, water pump, and seals this past week, and found my hydraulic tensioner was shot to shit and pissing out fluid everywhere soaking everything under the timing cover, sooo belt hasnt been as tight as needed. went for a drive after, and vibration ceases to be

Archived