LegacyGT.com

AT trans cooler for mt radiator

I am installing a Tru Cool 4454 with a Koyo 3 row alum rad. I am also installing a Derale fluid temp. You guys have given me a lot to think about reading back on this thread. Not sure if I have enough cooler but I will install a temp gauge to monitor. Summer is mostly over here in Oklahoma(still some 90's) so I will only get a partial read on it. I will go bigger if needed. On calls to Oregon Perf.Trans they felt on a stock car driven normally it would be ok. However on a modified car and doing occasional track days maybe not.

Hey Bass/Climber what about an 1.5" thick cooler more eff or not? My issue has a twist because I run a FMIC so space is limited. I do have a hair more than 17/8" btw the IC and condenser. the other thought is running 2 in series? Thoughts? Opinions on BG trans fluid. Subaru offers it now with a total flush.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Older thread but how did your cooling issue pan out with the Koyo VH2778?

I sent you a PM just a bit ago.....

Now that the temp is 95-100 out here in KC MO Im having issues with mine heating up when sitting in traffic.

I too am running the AVO FMIC and also have a AVO380 (bout the same as your 20g)

Calvin tuned my car as well.

I've been thinking that one day it will be a best practice to remove the ATF flow circuit from the radiator, and just do a thermostat and air/ATF cooler. That is how a lot of very good cars are setup.

I cannot speak to what size cooler would work best. If you have a thermostat, then realistically given space constraints, you can't go too big. If the fluid gets too cold then the thermostat will just close and divert uncooled fluid back to the transmission. Problem solved.

The only way to know for sure what works is to test your ATF temp, either with FREESSM, or with a temp sensor. You don't even need a gauge. All you would need is a temperature-activated switch, an M18x1.5 adapter bushing for the trans pan, a lead of wire, and a little light bulb or something to tell you whether the switch is closed or open. 200, 220, 240*F, pick a number, whatever you like. If it was me, I would want to know when pan temp exceeds 200*F, though 220 still wouldnt be hurting anything, except maybe OEM fluid lifespan.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I've been thinking that one day it will be a best practice to remove the ATF flow circuit from the radiator, and just do a thermostat and air/ATF cooler. That is how a lot of very good cars are setup.

I cannot speak to what size cooler would work best. If you have a thermostat, then realistically given space constraints, you can't go too big. If the fluid gets too cold then the thermostat will just close and divert uncooled fluid back to the transmission. Problem solved.

The only way to know for sure what works is to test your ATF temp, either with FREESSM, or with a temp sensor. You don't even need a gauge. All you would need is a temperature-activated switch, an M18x1.5 adapter bushing for the trans pan, a lead of wire, and a little light bulb or something to tell you whether the switch is closed or open. 200, 220, 240*F, pick a number, whatever you like. If it was me, I would want to know when pan temp exceeds 200*F, though 220 still wouldnt be hurting anything, except maybe OEM fluid lifespan.

We always ran a BNR ATF Cooler and an ATF Gauge on our AT Race cars, worked out very well. We've also found the Redline High Temp ATF really does make a big difference in AT Longevity in the Subies.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

We always ran a BNR ATF Cooler and an ATF Gauge on our AT Race cars, worked out very well. We've also found the Redline High Temp ATF really does make a big difference in AT Longevity in the Subies.

-Mike Paisan

BNR Cooler? Do you mean B&M?

I've had the same experience with Amsoil ATF. It lasts much longer and works better at both ends of the temperature range, makes Subaru ATF HP look like a very weak fluid. I have not tried Redline High Temp ATF, but my associate used it and is very happy with it on his 5EAT. Do you put Redline in your 5eat Subarus, or only the 4at boxes?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

BNR Cooler? Do you mean B&M?

I've had the same experience with Amsoil ATF. It lasts much longer and works better at both ends of the temperature range, makes Subaru ATF HP look like a very weak fluid. I have not tried Redline High Temp ATF, but my associate used it and is very happy with it on his 5EAT. Do you put Redline in your 5eat Subarus, or only the 4at boxes?

B&M is correct!

We like the Amsoil as well but having ran both in our ATs on track, the RL High Temp is just amazing stuff. We did about 40-50k miles on track in our 96 Impreza L racecar (it had 140k on the ticker when we bought it) sometimes running it straight through for like 6 hrs and when we got rid of it we pulled the 4EAT and put it in my dad's Legacy L and it ran for another 30k until he sold it. For all we know it's still running!

We use the Redline High Temp ATF in both the 4EAT and 5EAT cars at 30k intervals as part of our standard 30k/60k services. We do carry the Subaru ATF in case a customer really wants the OEM stuff.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I installed the Koyo 3 row Alum. last year and am very happy. Installed the Tru cool 4454 and made it through Oklahoma weather with just an occasional touch at 220F sitting in traffic. I'm thinking of installing a switch to enable the fans to be switched on High and turn the AC off for that situation. Of course with the AC on the fans are on high already. Just thing extreme circumstances where I might want to take the load of the AC out of the equation. I run Amzoil fluid and am very pleased with it. I get my temp reading from a sensor I installed along with a trans temp guage. The reading is taken as the oil leaves the filter and enters the trans cooler. I have read the pros and cons of this location and feel personally that going into the trans is over kill.(for me). One summer and one winter down, checking the fluid there is no off odor and no discoloration. I do sometimes worry about winter where I rarely see temps over 140F from the trans. The 4454 claims to keep all but two plates shut down until the fluid temps reach 180F at which time the rest allow fluid to pass through the cooler. Thoughts? Climber?

Anyway the Koyo fixed my overheating and that is what started the whole change.

Archived