LegacyGT.com

98 LGT HID issues

Hey,

I've got a 98 LGT and put HIDs in it awhile back and have had nothing but issues with them. Driver side is discolored and passenger side kinda flickers a bit and and tweaks out almost all of the time. I have JDM headlights but I soldered and heatshrinked all connections, swapped bulbs, swapped ballasts and still does the same thing. I've heard of putting relay kits in but not really sure where in circuit to wire them in? Any ideas would be great, thanks a lot.

Thanks guys, I've checked powers and grounds and they seem to be good. I am running a cheap kit but they were fine on the car I got them from and I've swapped in quality ballasts from a buddy's car with same result. I'll try the relay kit and see I guess, heresmymind, do you wire relays in before ballasts and after fuse box?

• I Donated
your right, and you can run auto x on donuts. the reliability is effected. After doing over 100+ retrofits I think I MAY know what im talking about.

-B

OK then.....Since you're the HID expert I'll let you handle this.

bengt - have fun wasting money on something you don't really need to buy.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

heresmymind-your right, i only have 2 retrofits under my belt but throughout the tons of research, run PNP HID kits burn out stock wiring........on the other hand

broknindarkagain- your right, except if you run a wire harness set-up specifically for using only the switch wire from the OEM harness, then you can safely run PNP HID's, but when buying a cheap kit, your going to get flickering (bad interior Ballast connections) cuz their cheap,

end result= doing a retrofit can cost over $300 very easily just on parts, time spent doing not included

PNP HID's are fine if you spend the extra little bit of money for a good kit, AND get a harness to handle the power

no, for your tails you want what is called a "Metal Halide" bulb. you'll probably have to run a generator in the back to power it, and have a custom housing since the stock one is too small, but i promise nobody will miss your lights.

Its not just a relay u buy off ebay, its a whole harness. It draws power directly from the battery to power the ballasts. stock wiring on a legacy. is too small a gauge to where it can have weak points throughout the harness. and that stock harness goes all the way up into your stalk on the steering wheel. for 15$ would you rather have the security and cleaner connection or a 5% fire hazard?

http://www.futurevisionhid.com/images/cables/single-beam-relay-two-bulbs.jpg

this is a link to what you need, make sure you specificy 9004

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-Relay-Wiring-Harness-Wire-Upgrade-For-9004-9007-HB1-HB5-/360437079593?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ebb95e29&vxp=mtr#ht_2951wt_1156

-B

There's no need to shy away from PNP (plug-and-play) HID's, they just need to be properly set-up within your vehicle because your OEM wiring is not the proper gauge to handle the power needed for the ballasts.

going cheap you can spend $45 on ebay===$30 on HID kit, $15 on Harness

Heresmymind, thank you for the help, I'll order up one of those suckers and see what happens, makes total sense. The ballasts need reliable power to keep up their end of the bargain, same concept as an amp for a sub. I'll post pics when it's done, it looks great when it works haha. I've got plenty of time to mess with it too considering its dead in driveway with a cracked borla header and a pissy starter lol. Thanks everyone!

Archived