LegacyGT.com

About to do stage 2..am i missing anything?

Hey Guys, like the title says I am a month or so away from upgrade my 06 XT to stage 2. I got my AVO FULL exhaust with pipes, AVO Up and Downdownpipes, Perrin TMIC and CoobAP(for the tune). Also I am waiting on our resident ValveBody modder, Climber, to get me the nice VB that he has going here.

Besides these items, am I missing anything that I need to get before for the full install and tune so I do not go back and forth, I kinda want to do everything in one shot since its costly and time consuming.

Should i stick with stock air box for now?

And what about those Injectors do i need to change them or wait until i up the turbo later on?

Thanks for any info and advice.

• Moderators

stick with stock air box, yes. maybe get a panel filter if you want but I don't think that's necessary. Injectors should be fine also.

Do you have all the gaskets you need? Up to turbo, up to manifold, manifold to head (x2), downpipe to turbo...plus any gaskets needed for your exhaust? Get some PB blaster for those stuck bolts as well, and you'll probably want new studs / bolts. The studs are M10x1.25 I believe, 41mm in length, but don't quote me on that one. You want grade 8 or higher (automotive grade) and need 5 for up pipe, 2 or 3 for downpipe.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

id look into a fuel pump...either walbro 255 or dw65 (i believe thats the one that it drop in ready without housing mod). it will give you more head room down the line if the mod itch comes back. look into a boost controller, ask your tuner what he recommends. grimmspeeds is a good ebcs. Are you getting a protune or off the shelf? id suggest protune so it is dialed in exactly to your cars specs. ots map are ok but a protune will maximize everything. A wideband setup is a good investment to

I am running a OTS stage 2 tune right now till my next set of upgrades which is a BNR 16g, grimmspeed boost controller, filtered oil line, and I think I am going to go with the Stage 3-OEM fueling E-tune from infamous

2006 Legacy GT 5EAT Perrin UP, SPT CAI, OBXR CBE, Catless DP, Perrin TMIC, Stage 2 AP tune

Soon after BNR 16G, Infamous Tune

So i should get Injectors... Which is a good size, i know i have read a few topics where they all say BIGGER IS BETTER, but does it matter for now? Fuel pump also right?

And for the PROTUNE, you mean by a pro shop right, well i was recommended to go by a mechanic friend of mine to go to this place where they tune and dyno cars so I am going to go there for the tune.

The gaskets im pretty sure i should have all of them because all the AVO Up/DPs are new so they should be in the box and the AVO exhaust and pipes i bought slightly used but the guy gave me all the gaskets and bolts.

no. you don't need injectors or a fuel pump for stage 2, manbearpig said injectors are fine meaning stockers are fine. dp, up, tmic, tune and you're good to go. save the money and go open source tune forget the accessport

I have been reading about open source vs Ap and most people say to just go with AP ...

open source is superior to the AP plus much cheaper. there's threads all around about this, I'm not getting into it. open source allows for custom tuning specifically for your car, ap maps are essentially maps that will work on any model lgt in the year ranges, every car is different. plus if you get a pro tune, they can tune through the ap but in the end you'll be paying for the ap + the tune, opposed to just the tune.

open source is superior to the AP plus much cheaper. there's threads all around about this, I'm not getting into it. open source allows for custom tuning specifically for your car, ap maps are essentially maps that will work on any model lgt in the year ranges, every car is different. plus if you get a pro tune, they can tune through the ap but in the end you'll be paying for the ap + the tune, opposed to just the tune.

I see. So with an Open source tune, once tuned, I would not need to touch it ? Because I would like to just "set it forget it" if you know what I mean, until I am fully versed and educated in doing it myself with a laptop by myself.

Or is AP better for doing this?

Btw which open source is best Ecu tek, traxis etc. Or just use software like romraider?

Thanks.

IP&T can do a custom tune via your AP as well if you already have one. AP V2+ also allows you to do logging without the need for a laptop, or additional cabling, etc.

Stage 2 upgrade check list

1. CHECK - Catless UP (not necessary for Stage 2, but important for longevity of your turbo)
  2. CHECK - Downpipe
  3. CHECK - CBE (though not necessary for Stage 2)
  4. CHECK - Upgraded TMIC (though not necessary for Stage 2)
  5. ??? - COBB AP V2 (with appropriate octane Stage 2 tune) or laptop computer, Open Source tuning software, and data cable (with custom Stage 2 tune)
  6. ??? - Upgraded clutch (not necessary for Stage 2, but if still on the stock clutch think about replacement)

OP - how many miles on your car? If over 60K, might as well change out your plugs too. Check the spark plug install thread for the how-to and part numbers on that one.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'd hold off until Stage 3 for the 3-port EBCS. The stock one is more than capable for simple Stage 2 COBB or custom map.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

IP&T can do a custom tune via your AP as well if you already have one. AP V2+ also allows you to do logging without the need for a laptop, or additional cabling, etc.

Stage 2 upgrade check list

1. CHECK - Catless UP (not necessary for Stage 2, but important for longevity of your turbo)
  2. CHECK - Downpipe
  3. CHECK - CBE (though not necessary for Stage 2)
  4. CHECK - Upgraded TMIC (though not necessary for Stage 2)
  5. ??? - COBB AP V2 (with appropriate octane Stage 2 tune) or laptop computer, Open Source tuning software, and data cable (with custom Stage 2 tune)
  6. ??? - Upgraded clutch (not necessary for Stage 2, but if still on the stock clutch think about replacement)

OP - how many miles on your car? If over 60K, might as well change out your plugs too. Check the spark plug install thread for the how-to and part numbers on that one.

Car is a AT so i am upgrading the VB thnx to Climber.

Car has 27k on it so I am good on the spark plugs.

Thanks for the points and ideas guys.

Btw anyone know ANY good tuners in NYC, I was told Metric Subaru does it in Long ISland,NY , anyone besides them ?

Archived