LegacyGT.com

Check Engine Light- Cam Sensor

I drove home from work the other morning and my Girlfriends car had a flat tire. So I let her take the Legacy to School. On the way to school the check engine light $came on. The car started sputtering and died on her a few times before she got to school. I had it towed to the dealership. They checked out the car and said it threw a code for the cam sensor.

They said they checked out everything and that all was good. They drove the car for about 45 minutes and couldn't find anything wrong. They said possibly I might need a new Cam Sensor but they couldn't say that was the problem. The sensor was a 339.00. I didn't want to just throw a new sensor in if that was not the problem. Then they said to drive it and see if the problem comes back.

I didn't want to drive it to work tonight without checking it out myself. I wont have time until the weekend. What can I look for on my own. What kind of issues would cause the computer to throw the Cam Sensor code? Im going to check all of the hoses and vaccum hoses this weekend. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stop taking the 05 to the stealership. Find a local garge you can trust and build a relationship with them.

I would pick up a can of Gunk Motor flush and oil and a filter. Follow the directions on the can. Basically dump it in, idle the car for 5 minutes, change the oil and filter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Similar issue when I got my turbo swap. The cam sensor connector was corroded and had the same symptoms you having. It was at ECS Performance here in CT. Thank god they had a spare engine wire harness laying around. Replaced it no issues since. Seems to be always something with these vehicles. But we love them.

Archived