LegacyGT.com

what is this noise?

i have an appointment for an alignment Thursday this week, the check engine light is the p0480 code which is a bad cooling fan relay, but both fans work just fine and the car doesn't over heat at all. it does not make any noise when im not moving. almost no noise at all when turning left and occasionally i hear it when driving straight. it gets louder as i get on the gas more and more. i've recently replaced the cv axle on the passenger side. also the car has taken to ripping the boots on the rack and pinion up so there is a good chance that has something to do with it cause dirt and what not can get in. seems like everytime i fix one thing on this car something else goes wrong within the week

now that i think about it, the cv axle does make sense. cause the outside joint on it has to swivel so that the wheel can turn. last time i had the car apart it didnt look like the boot was ripped or anything so i dont think anything got in there. but i'd like to be sure before i go out and buy a part i replaced less than 3k miles ago. if it is something to do with the rack and pinion and i go buy a 80 dollar part that doesnt fix it im gonna be upset. i have a parts car that has the entire steering rack and everything. i know it would be cheaper, but would it be easier to replace the whole steering rack? but im not going to do that its the cv joint. and i though it might be something with the strut but i wasn't aware that the strut has its own bearing

Archived