LegacyGT.com

Adding more bass to a legacy

mitchv

in a 2009 legacy 4 door limited with the harmon kardon system. it came with the little 6.5 inch speaker in the rear deck but its worthless. the bass gets completely drowned out by the mids and highs at a higher volume

I was hoping to keep the stock head unit and keep the budget under 300

I was thinking maybe using a dayton 10 removing the stock 6.5 in the rear deck then building an enclosure for the 10 and use a aeroport that goes up to the 6.5 hole?

any ideas or do you guys know any decent 6.5's that can add bass while still powered off of the harmon kardon amp?

I do not know the specs of the Harmon Kardon OEM Amplifier off hand, but if your budget is $300 than I do not know why you would purchase such an "expensive" Sub(woofer) if you plan on driving it w/ an OEM Amplifier.

As far as driver placement, it's all up to you. ...near endless possibilities. I know w/ my 05' I could drop a 10" in the rear deck slot. I ran a Dayton IB for a while. -just another option.

I do not know what parimeters you have to work w/,but if you do plan on going IB (free air), generally the more cone area the better.

PM sent.

It's all up to you!

Obviously the dayton 10 wont be free air... i was asking as to if there are any 6.5's that someone has put in the rear deck and noticed a decent improvement in bass.

The dayton would be in a box built to spec and on an amp.. obviously 130 dollars isn't what I would consider an expensive 10 either

Really?

...Dayton HO's have been & are one of the most popular drivers for running IB. I noted when running IB, more cone area = better -if you can fit it in which I'm more than positive you can.

6.5" -Is it that hard to read specs? Search -Qts, Low F's, etc....

Good luck W/ your search. I tried helping you out & your response was disrespectful. -I know a thing or two about the 12V world, but it appears as you think other.

+1 to what .17HMR is saying.

There's not a 6.5" out there that's going to give you a whole lot of bass simply because it lacks cone area. I just installed an 8" in my rear deck and had slightly higher hopes for it, but again, it's just too small. Especially running IB, there's not going to be powerful output down low from a driver that small.

I know a 10" wouldn't have fit in the factory opening in the rear deck of my '07, but there was enough room I think to enlarge the hole enough for a 10". I wasn't about to start cutting like that though; I don't have the skills to do a good enough job.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

+1 to what .17HMR is saying.

There's not a 6.5" out there that's going to give you a whole lot of bass simply because it lacks cone area. I just installed an 8" in my rear deck and had slightly higher hopes for it, but again, it's just too small. Especially running IB, there's not going to be powerful output down low from a driver that small.

I know a 10" wouldn't have fit in the factory opening in the rear deck of my '07, but there was enough room I think to enlarge the hole enough for a 10". I wasn't about to start cutting like that though; I don't have the skills to do a good enough job.

The sub(woofer) slot on the rear deck of my 05' LGT was roughly 7-8" in diameter. I fabricated a ring (Diameter to suit 10" Driver) & set it over the sub(woofer) slot. -This gave me enough room to install just about any 10" driver. Just watch out for basket clearance.

Without knowing your skill level the idea of adding more base for $300 is tough to do. If you had the ability to do custom work you would not have posted the question. My suggestion may not be the best received but I would suggest a powered sub like a Bazooka Tube. Yea I know you could do a fiberglass sub in the side, an infinite baffle in the rear deck or build a box but in the end your going to spend more than $300. When its all said and done unless you buy some cheap equipment and have a friend who is a competent installer your going to be over your budget.

I have also noticed this slight issue after my recent vehicle purchase. The HK system is decent at lower volumes, but with the windows down and volume up, the bass disappears. The 10" Dayton HO...would that fit a 2009 without modification? I suppose I could look this up on the forum somewhere, but I would also like to ask if the factory power supply will be sufficient, or if there is an easy solution to adding an amp. Hopefully in the near future I will be able to purchase one of the kits to convert to a 2xDIN hu and then swap in new components and subs. For now, though, the IB setup seems an appealing option

I have also noticed this slight issue after my recent vehicle purchase. The HK system is decent at lower volumes, but with the windows down and volume up, the bass disappears. The 10" Dayton HO...would that fit a 2009 without modification? I suppose I could look this up on the forum somewhere, but I would also like to ask if the factory power supply will be sufficient, or if there is an easy solution to adding an amp. Hopefully in the near future I will be able to purchase one of the kits to convert to a 2xDIN hu and then swap in new components and subs. For now, though, the IB setup seems an appealing option

He made an adapter/spacer (probably out of MDF) to mount the Dayton in the factory hole without cutting it. The factory opening is for an 8" sub.

Power would be your problem though if you're wanting to stick with the factory system. I honestly don't know the factory amp's output, but I doubt it's enough for the Dayton to reach it's potential. Easiest solution is line-out converters and an aftermarket amp.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Your best bet to get hard hitting bass is w a 2nd amp and decent 10" either in the spare tire area or side firing from a fg enclosure. Your biggest problem is the $300 budget, if your going to stick to that budget id look on ebay for some deals. Best place i hang out for info is diyma.com plenty of info and plenty of deals to be had over there!

Is it possible to add an additional amp to the factory setup? I am in the process of looking for an aftermarket dash trim to fit, and then pick a good head unit. If I can add an amp to the OEM setup in the meantime, though, that would be great.

The factory HK amp is 385 watts TOTAL. Divided by 7 speakers I would peg the wattage to the factory sub right around 35-55W TOPS. I am guessing at the division but the wattage of the amp is for sure.

If you get an efficient 6 or 8 inch 8 ohm sub then you would be more than satisfied and you wouldn't have to build any crazy box or anything. However--and this is a big however--the improvement will be less 'boomy' and more precise, but it will not be louder...the only way to get louder bass is to externally amplify it with a proper amp. Remember than the HK amp is not tuneable, you cannot adjust each channel or the gain to the sub.

I don't have an 09 Legacy but a buddy of mine does. He tried the JL Audio 6W0-4. It sounded really good but it still was drowned out by the front stage.

He ended up keeping that sub and running a cheap Alpine MRP-F300 amp, ran the sub at 4 ohms [50W x 4 on this amp] and the results were outstanding. He bought the amp used for $65 [eBay] and the sub new for less than a hundred. With some Dynamat around the new sub it sounded great....if you built a box [he didn't choose to] it would sound even better.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know much about car audio. I know there are a hand full of after market 6.5" subwoofers out there, is it possible to just replace my factory sub with one of the after market subs without adding an amp. If so do you think that would give me a little more bass?

The answer is yes BUT you must find a sub that matches the impedence of the factory sub, I think it's 8 ohms. Also try to find a sub with an RMS anywhere between 2-50 watts. This should ensure that the sub gets the power it needs to operate efficiently.

Archived