LegacyGT.com

Just replaced clutch... Horrible noise

iv_05gt

Just replaced the clutch I started it and heard a HORRIBLE rapping noise. I have an 05 LGT and went from DMFW to a SMFW via infamous performance Competition Clutch Stage 2 kit. Any suggestions/theories as to what it may be?

Noise happens w/ clutch engaged or disengaged. Any idea's?

Who said anything about not replacing all wear items? Why wouldn't we when they are all included.

Because, sometimes they are not all included:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On another note how exactly do you adjust the clutch pedal? It feels like stock but I'm open to try anything right now.

+1

I feel like something is still loose. idk what it is. but im not taking it to work tonight. something is off and until i figure it out or pay someone to. guess i will use my girlfriends hyundai until then :\

So i ended up taking my car to work. I'm at just shy of 300 miles in. It's gotten better, The downpipe to the bracket off the trans backed the bolt out (how? i tightened that good) is causing the noise that made me feel like something is loose.

Just need to tweak the pedal a bit and i think all will be manageable. 1st and reverse from a stand still is still rough, but driving is good.

Judder (what many here are calling shudder) is normal with LWFW's. Use more throttle. It is caused by the disc and fw not slipping evenly (clutches are supposed to slip). It is worse with all clutches when they are cold.

Use some throttle and it will go away. If it does not, something is out of alignment most times. Sometimes mounts can help.

How can you get the bell housing back on the motor flush if your clutch isnt alligned?

If you use the bolts to pull the bell housing to the block, you can deform the splines on the clutch disc. I've seen it happen on more than a few occasions.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^ DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

I can not emphasis enough how bad this is. That is exactly what was done to my SpecB by Dave Foreman of Foreman Performance. Which ultimately led me to open my own shop so that locals could get decent work done on their cars. I have posted the entire story before.

^ DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

I can not emphasis enough how bad this is. That is exactly what was done to my SpecB by Dave Foreman of Foreman Performance. Which ultimately led me to open my own shop so that locals could get decent work done on their cars. I have posted the entire story before.

Yep. It's a stupid thing to do.

A friend did it on his car by accident. He had to chain the front of his car to a tree, and yank the trans out of the car with his 4Runner.

Ruined the trans, too. It bent the thrust plate and ruined the input shaft.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I've got about 500 miles on it so far. Its ALOT better, i have to slip it a little with more rpm from a stand still/reverse. Otherwise the shift is so solid that my tired old mounts give a-lot of drive-line shunt.

All in all, success and a valuable learning experience.

It works good, but in the future i will do w/o the LWFW for sure.

Dual mass flywheels were designed to reduce shudder and separated by gromits of some sort. When you go to single mass you get a lot more shudder. There's no way around it except a good sprung friction plate.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Well i got my car on a lift and the transmission moves over an inch up and down. Im going to order some tranny mounts and see if that fixs my problem. I wish i would have heard about not using the bolts to mate the bell housing to the engine. It went together really smooth though with no fight at all.

What was your car doing msprank when the shop you took you car do screwed your tranny? Was the tranny jumping like that or was it just FUBAR from the gate? Man i hope thats not what is going on with my car.

I brought it in for a quick clutch swap so I could go toast a clutch at the drags the next day. When the tranny failed to go in smoothly, Dave used the main bolts to force it together. I was there watching, so out it came and there was the F'd mess.

When I got her home I spent over $600 fixing the issues it had caused.

Oh my word. That would make me feel some kind of way. Well we didnt force it, it just went together smooth. Has anyone heard of the main transmission mount failing after taking the subframe out for something? I do live in the snow belt and a lot of the bolts were in bad shape. I actually broke one of the studs for the main mount in the middle of the stud. When removing i remember really torquing that mount. I guess maybe i messed it up...???

Oh my word. That would make me feel some kind of way. Well we didnt force it, it just went together smooth. Has anyone heard of the main transmission mount failing after taking the subframe out for something? I do live in the snow belt and a lot of the bolts were in bad shape. I actually broke one of the studs for the main mount in the middle of the stud. When removing i remember really torquing that mount. I guess maybe i messed it up...???

You only have one bolt holding the trans to the crossmember?

That is a problem.

Archived