LegacyGT.com

Declining performance of the rear defroster

f1anatic

I am wondering if any folks have experienced this: declining performance of the rear defroster ? Do a search and you come up with lots of folks complaining of poor radio reception when the rear defroster is activated.

I've had the car 7 years now, it always defrosted up but just recently I noticed a sharp decline: the mid section of the rear window would stay fogged up / frosted up. The upper side (towards the roof) would be quick to defog or defrost. Then two weeks ago I noticed the middle (height wise) 1/3 section (driver's side) would stay fogged up for very long time after the rest of the windshield became clear. Now the condition has spread to the entire middle section.

I've ad a rear tint for as long as I've owned the car. I would have thought that by cleaning the rear window I could in theory damage the connectivity of those electrical wires that are surface mounted to the window but then again - they've been covered by tint for the past 6.5 years and there's no reason to believe I managed to scrape them off. In fact they look just fine in good lighting upon closer inspection.

So if anyone has any suggestions, fixes, or prior experience with this issue - I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Not trying to answer my own thread - there is always this

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-15067-Window-Defogger-Repair/dp/B000HBI9YQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: Permatex 15067 Quick Grid Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit: Automotive[/ame]

But as I said in my post, the grids are intact, they've been covered / protected by tint for 6 and a half years now...so interruptions in the grid are unlikely.

• 6 months later...

Archived