LegacyGT.com

Power Antenna issues.

Death

OK, so my ghetto garage door aparently does not go up high enough to clear my power antenna. Needless to say, it got bent to about a 45 degree angle, and so I tried to bend it back. It still works, but it does not go up or down all the way anymore, and it makes stupid clicking noises as its trying and failing to raise and lower. It was bent right at the base by the body.

Do I need a whole new antenna or can i just switch out the top part or what?

The mast itself is rather easy to replace. Put several layers of masking tape on the cars paint around the antenna base so you don't scratch it. Remove the collar at the base with a spanner, Turn radio on and let the antenna motor eject the antenna and the toothed nylon track as 1 unit. (pull upward gently to assist the process) Pay attention to the orientation of the teeth, the new one will only go in the same way. Installation is the reverse of removal, keeping in mind that you turn off the radio as you begin to feed the antenna in. If the antenna will not go in all the way, take a look at the end of the white nylon track that you removed. It should be rounded and tapered. If it has a sharp squared off end then it's likely to have broken off in the motor. Then you must disassemble the antenna motor and remove the excess pieces.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

oh that sounds like its not so bad.

considering it is not broken all the way right now, I can be sure the whole thing comes out.

upon further research, i found it is 20 bucks on ebay, and there is a neat instruction video on youtube.

Thanks!

they had a 20 dollar mast at autozone,. changed, but the new mast doesn't go all the way down into the car like the OEM one. it leaves like an inch above. it's not so sleek, but at least it operates properly.

Archived