LegacyGT.com

Steering Boot Torn -- Re-Pack With Grease?

I'm currently taking a 1995 Legacy apart in hopes of replacing the transmission. Among a host of other things, I just noticed that the steering boots are torn. I'm putting new boots on my list of things to order -- but can anyone provide info on how this repair should be done. Do I smear/pack the joint with grease before installing the new boot? If so -- what kind of grease should be used?

Thanks,

Rob

are the torn boots oily or greasy?? they shouldn't be.

if they are the rack may be leaking and you might consider a used replacement. these racks don't fail often so if the leak isn't bad i might drive it while longer. at least until it needs more ATF in the pump / reservoir.

the boot is designed to keep dirt out, not grease in. if dirty i would clean and oil with 30w motor oil. if not dirty, i'd just replace the boot.

I think they're officially called Rack and Pinion Bellows. I got Moog K9446 for ~$25 on amazon. Save your old clips though.

Also make sure your inner tie rods are OK.

You'll want to grease the inner part of the boot when installing, it's a very tight fit.

• I Donated

They are called Bellows Boots.

If there is any fluid in them, you have bad seals inside the steering rack and it will need to be replaced. It should be completely dry in there. No fluid, no grease...nothing. Just make sure its clean and dry and install the new boot.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Thanks for the responses guys -- very helpful.

No, it looks kinda dry in there and I think I can probably get away with a careful clean up job and new boots.

Funny you should mention about the steering fluid, though -- no steering fluid in the boot area -- but the steering system fluid reservoir is, I believe leaking onto the top of the engine!! (and creating quite a mess). Is this a known issue with Subaru Legacies? and what does it take to repair? Is it just a matter of removing the reservoir, replacing a seal, and then bleeding the steering system? Or will I need a new reservoir?

the rebuild kit is about $32 wholesale from the dealer.

BUT there is an o ring in between the reservoir and the pump. it costs about $1. this is the most common leak point if the pump is still working properly.

kit, item #4

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_25/steering/oil_pump/illustration_1/

o-ring item #11

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_25/steering/oil_pump/illustration_2/

My dealer didn't have any kits, but both gates (348414) and edelmann (8832) make PS pump rebuild kits for ~$20. The gates kit worked fine for me.

There is 1 o ring between the reservoir and the pump AND a washer that needs to be replaced. dealer only for both of those.

Archived