LegacyGT.com

Noise after motor rebuild/VF48 install

Recently, due to a blown turbo, I had to have my motor rebuilt, and replaced the vf40 with a vf48. The shop owner insisted that it didn't need to be tuned for the new turbo, but I know for sure that it does because I've read 29837437 threads on here insisting otherwise. I've been driving it gently to break in the motor, being very careful to stay out of boost, which is difficult with the vf48, because it spools early. I'm about 1,000 miles in at this point. I plan to get it tuned as soon as possible, but for now I need to figure out if there is something else going on.

Driving a few days ago, I accidentally let it go up to about 3,200 rpm in first gear and heard a noise that was pretty distressing. It sounded like mechanical purring, or dampened rattling coming from somewhere near the turbo. I wasn't about to try to duplicate it to get a better idea of what it was. The pitch of the noise followed the rpm range, and went away when I shifted to second.

So, is it possible that the turbo is making that noise? Boost leak? Wastegate? Something not turbo related? I realize this is vague and possibly hard to diagnose without hearing or a better description, but I'd appreciate any input.

It was definitely spooling up at that point, it just didn't sound right at all. I'm still not quite certain how the lack of a tune would manifest itself in that situation. I don't have any mods, and no boost gauge. That seems like it would be a good investment.

also did you change the uppipe to a sti or any non catted?
Nope, he replaced the stock UP with a used WRX one, which didn't really make sense to me since it still has a cat but it was too late to change at that point.

Make sure your tmic bolts are tight.
Thanks, I'll check that in the morning.

do you mean vf46 btw you still have the stock intercooler ? Pretty dumb to swap in another catted up that can fall apart.

Nope, vf48. It was modified to be used with my stock tmic, which also has some fancy welding. I agree, I really wish he would have consulted me before putting another catted UP in there. Catless probably would have been about the same price.

Go Catless UP and Down and get a tune... I Wouldn't drive it till then.

About the noise it's hard to say. Could be the heat sheild?

In the future I would love to go catless UP/DP, but there is now way I can afford that after all the money this car has cost me in the short time I've owned it. It's parked until it gets tuned, which will hopefully start this week.

Every time I hear a new noise or something acts up I feel like it's going to cost me another $4,000. Hopefully my confidence in it will come back up with time.

Every time I hear a new noise or something acts up I feel like it's going to cost me another $4,000. Hopefully my confidence in it will come back up with time.

I understand exactly what your going thru, I'm college student and I myself had to pay for my car, 105k service with timing belt, tires, rear bearing, new turbo, and as I type a rebuilt engine. Thats almost $10k in service and repairs! I wanted this car so now I'm paying for, I'm in debit way over my head. But everything I'm doing it right not half assing it. Don't mean to sound rude but these cares are expensive and very delicate. If you're gonna upgrade something you need to do it right and all the way or not do it at all.

Before you tune, you NEED to go catless or else you're risking even more damage on your engine.

A catted up pipe has risk of the catted breaking cause of pressure and when it does the metal pieces will go in to your turbo and engine and cause a $6k catastrophe. So that is why you need to go cattless to be safe, there is no proformance gains except a reassured piece of mind.

I catless Down pipe or high flow cat allows your turbo to breathe better and more efficiently and give you acouple ponies while your at it, but this requires a tune.

Okay. Wife and I talked it over, we're going to get the uppipe in addition to the tune. I guess the next challenge is finding a garage around here competent enough to install it. Dealership service department here we come! :rolleyes:

Okay. Wife and I talked it over, we're going to get the uppipe in addition to the tune. I guess the next challenge is finding a garage around here competent enough to install it. Dealership service department here we come! :rolleyes:

Your kind of up there...I'd suggest... I know my Tuner uses ESP in Sterling MA, they do a lot of Subaru work and have a dyno. Not sure you want to drive that far.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks. I'm really hoping to not have to, since I'm way up past Burke Mt. but I guess we'll see how it goes. The plan for now is an Infamous e-tune. Best I can tell it's the most cost effective option with good results a probability.

Thanks. I'm really hoping to not have to, since I'm way up past Burke Mt. but I guess we'll see how it goes. The plan for now is an Infamous e-tune. Best I can tell it's the most cost effective option with good results a probability.

I have been to Burke a few times.

My Tuner http://www.tuningalliance.com will send you e-tunes too. Give Mike a email from his web site. He also skis. He has a old pair of mine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived