LegacyGT.com

Suspected blown rear diff, please advise

Strabismo

2006 Legacy GT

Manual Transmission

80 000 km

I have recently did a long drive with my car (1000 km in a day) and at the last 100 or so kms I have noticed a noise coming from under my car that wasn't there before.

The noise is like a humming/ gear groaning and is speed sensitive (definitely not rev sensitive). I can't pinpoint exactly where it is coming from from inside my car but it doesn't seem to be coming from the transmission as it would have made a noise through the shifter if it was the case.

There is no felt vibration. No vibration in the steering wheel either. The noise becomes very apparent as I drive at 60 km/h and up.

I have lifted the car and the CV joint boots are intact. There is also no apparent play in the wheel bearings.

I have drained the rear diff's oil and what came out was a very dark, almost black sludge. Is it normal for an LSD's oil to be this colour after 80 000 km or is it a clear sing that my rear diff is going?

Any advice is welcome. I still have a warranty but I am 200 km from the closest dealership and I have an extremely tight schedule at work right now so I cannot afford to go back and forth to and from the dealership multiple times. I will also need to drive another 1000 km soon and I really want to fix this problem before that.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The noise is speed sensitive only. Hard acceleration doesn't seem to change the noise (except resulting speed change does). Putting the car in neutral and letting it cruise on its own momentum will not change the noise either.

Tire pressure was checked 2 weeks ago. I can check again just to be safe.

Archived