LegacyGT.com

Exhaust noise too quiet to rpm shift,..

abakja1

Ive only had my car for 3 weeks now and find that the car is too refined and too quiet for me...My funds are limited as Im taking baby steps to modding,..

After reading many posts and the overpriced catback systems available, I would like to install either a 3" or 2.5" (would 3" kill my midrange and torque overall??) after downpipe back made by local muffler shop and probably buy 2 N1 type cannisters off of Ebay for them to install.

I know I should buy my uppipe and downpipe first, but shipping cost a consideration on top of parts cost is a factor. And most people say that there is little to no change in exhaust note compared to a muffler change, other than the known fact of less damage to turbo (eliminate precat in uppipe) and better response..

I would like to make the changes cause I need to "audibly" know where I am in the rpm range to know when to shift instead of looking at the tach all the time,..

What have you paid for muffler shop to put in similiar exhaust to twin mufflers out the back as Im going to muffler shop tomorrow for estimate? Can it be done for < $600??

Any input greatly appreciated,..

Kevin

After reading many posts and the overpriced catback systems available, I would like to install either a 3" or 2.5"

These catbacks are hardly overpriced. You have to see the Stromung in person to realize just how much quality and workmanship is put into it. Why spend around 600 for a pieced together setup when you can just save 200-300 more and go for the real deal. When I had the old system off and the new one mocked up next to it, the difference was very noticable. I suggest contacting Mitch at Renick Motorsports for info on the Stromung and the Borla.

I would like to make the changes cause I need to "audibly" know where I am in the rpm range to know when to shift instead of looking at the tach all the time,..

I had the same issue coming from a modified WRX If you give it some more time, a couple of months perhaps, the GT exhaust loosens up and it becomes easier to hear shift points.

Tom

????

To what are you referring to??

Do a search. If you removed the intake silencer from the air filter intake box you could hear the engine speed better for no money if that is your short term goal. Then save your money for better bang for the buck mods. EG downpipe mod with Ap. P.S. I do agree that the setup does not give any audible feedback to shift by.

Thanks,..figured it out,..

Will have muff shop remove ex. silencer with 2.5 pipe and save $$ for Stromung catback,..Looks awesome,..

Hopefully by then, prices will drop or be more competitive, since I gotta pay shipping to Hawaii atop of the cost for product,..Thats at least $100 more,..

Sucks huh??

From a fellow -LOUD- DSMer to another. ;)

Take the above suggestions by franklin and KTM 525 - and just get more seat-time in your LGT and save-up for "more power" mods instead.

After having driven Winky now for about 2 months, I can easily feel her shift points - the stock LGT just doesn't pull above 6K, so you'll get a good feel with some extended seat time.

For reference, my first month of ownership, I tripped the rev-limiter three times.

Second month, only once.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived